Photo ID: Dead & scrape off or alive & keep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amahler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm starting the process of displacing bio-balls with live rock. I got some fresh base rock from liverocks.com for starters since it's less expensive and will be a good host for the nitrifying bacteria.

Despite being their base rock, it came with quite a bit of life... not all of it I expect to survive in my tank at this point (though there is an amazing amount of active life I see cranking right along despite what I figured would be shock from shipping and my hypo-salinity/high nitrates).

Anyway, I'm sure there is some stuff on here that is dead or inevitably going to die and I was hoping with some photos that I might elicit some opinions on what I should scrape off. Some of these things might BE dead and I wouldn't know it yet since I don't know all of what I'm seeing.

In any case, I want to keep the ammonia levels as low as possible in these first few days and any comments like "Yep - that's dead... scrape it off" seem like they might help that goal along more quickly. :)

The photos I've attached have arrows and highlights on them. Names / information for what is highlighted would be appreciated as well as indications of whether it should be removed or not.

There are six pictures, so I'll split this into two posts (three each).

Thanks!
- Aaron

Attachments

• _mg_8283.jpg
    _mg_8283.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 113
  • _mg_8286.jpg
    _mg_8286.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 142
  • _mg_8289.jpg
    _mg_8289.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 161
Agree nothing needs scraped. The top pic could be a tunicate, the other two are sponges.

Back
Top Bottom