Picked this coral up today can someone tell me what type it is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you and also what is the care is it a difficult coral to maintain and light requirements. Sorry I am new at the reef hobby.

Thank you and also what is the care is it a difficult coral to maintain and light requirements. Sorry I am new at the reef hobby.
The blue xenia is moderate to difficult as far as care. It needs moderate to high lighting should be placed low in the tank.

Masoniac said:

Some tanks grow it like a weed, other tanks can't keep it alive.
Xenia likes med-high light and moderate flow. Mine is pretty high up on my rocks, in a good flow area, and is doing well.

I will see how it does in the spot now and then go from there. Do they need any types of food or just good supplements.

No food, no supplements. :) It will do just fine as long as you do regular water changes, everything they need as far as essential elements are in the salt mix.

Thanks very much if anyone has pictures of theirs I would love to see them.i will post a pic when he is fully open

Are they easy to frag if they get out of hand in my tank?

spoonman said:
And if you put the rock that its on against the side or back wall, it will attach itself and grow up the wall!

That would be cool I might do that.

I've had this coral about a month and a half and it easily doubled in the time. Not only has it doubled but if I look in my tank about 6 inches to the left there are two other colonies growing not sure how that happened. Also if I go around to the back of my tank another colony is growing in the sand. I'm going to have a Xenia garden.

I always added iodine to my tanks whenever I grew these. Whenever I got lazy about adding it they did poorly. Could've been my salt mix was low in iodine (Instant Ocean).

This coral grows weed-like in my tank without any supplemental dosing (just light and water changes).

Initial colony as purchased:
img_2100575_0_1b89342faa68850d9827a248f43ed8bb.jpg

and at its peak:

rc_kaybee19_sig.png

Back
Top Bottom