Pink nudibranch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trnewsom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My husband came home with 2 of these and the coral it's on. I don't know what either is or how to care for them. Help appreciated.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429920600.633810.jpgThe place he bought these from also had a matched pair of Hawaiian Tahitian butterfly's for $400! Live aquaria sells them for $999.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Unfortunately that slug({chromodoris bullock} along with many others) prefers to eat only a specific type of sponge or other specialty/hard to aquire food.
It is notorious to not last long in aquariums and really should not be sold by a reputable LFS.
The coral is a gorgonian I believe and is probably a filter feeder as opposed to photo synthetic.

Nudibranch will always look just like what they eat. This way they can blend into the coral, sponge, algae...whatever, without being seen by predators...or us. If they are in it, they eat it, and there are most likely eggs in there too.

Thanks. I was worried about the slugs but they are pretty. I'll look the coral up.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I tried for a couple different times with that nudibranch.
My wife just loved them and I've been up to a challenge or two,but they never worked out for me even in my slowest of reef tanks.
They sadly end up stuck to the circulation pump or drawn into the overflow in under 3 months.
The coral should do well if fed properly.
Enjoy!
They really are beautiful!

Sadly, that nudibranch is exactly what was stated above. It will only eat sponge, so it will most likely starve to death. If your husband paid for them, try to take them back. If it came in on the gorgorian, I would still try to take them back. Maybe your LFS would give you store credit for them.
As for the gorgonians, it is a yellow finger. It is a non-photosynthetic coral that will require daily feedings of something like marine snow. It should be low in the tank with medium flow. I'll link the DFS page to it, theirs shows more orange than yellow for some reason but it is still the same coral. Good luck, this is a very challenging coral that you might want to consider trading in for something else.
Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Yellow Finger Gorgonian

Back
Top Bottom