Pink things growing in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

We have these pretty little pink lumps growing on our LR.

Perhaps they are coraline polyps? We started with a small clump of them (circled in one of the pics) and now they are spreading on to other rocks in the tank.

Thanks for your help!

Vox

Attachments

• pink1.jpg
    pink1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 198
  • pink2.jpg
    pink2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 163
Uhm.. lol. That would be the growth of coralline. Coralline is a beneficial part of a saltwater aquarium, and eventually will pretty much cover everything in your tank. Rock, powerheads, heaters, the glass/acrylic of your tank, etc.. Coralline does not always come in just "flat" pieces of purple/pink. They build up on some parts and form bubble looking lumps. Coralline is very good. Don't be worried.

Look at that link on the bottom of Zero`s post. If you look down that link you`ll see some things called formerans or something like that. See if that pic matches yours. I cant open it here at work.

Yup... "foraminiferans" is what you're looking for. And that's what they are. (Perhaps Zero should read his/her own signature link!)

Hi all,

Thanks for replying. We had considered foraminiferans, but they look fluffier than that in real life. Unfortunately its hard to see with the pic size being so small!!

I think its just coraline as Zero suggested. We do have a lot of it already, but this was just different.

Thanks again!

I dont think it is coralline unless we are talking about something different. Those Pink things are definitely foraminiferans.

Really? That all looks like coralline to me.. although it could be what the people above were talking about, foraminiferans. Even so.. judging by the picture in the link, they have more of a red color to them.. but the ones in the picture above are pink. Pink to me means only one thing: coralline. But who knows.. it could be a bit of both, or just one of those. Both of these are good, so whichever they may be, they are good. :)

While coralline comes in many colors and varieties, those are foraminiferans. I'm not normally 100% sure about anything, but I'll make an exception on this one. I had quite a few of them in my tank in the early stages, so I'm pretty familiar with them. But you're right ZerO... either are good.

Back
Top Bottom