Plant or Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonah8008

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!
I just set up a new saltwater aquarium about two months ago. I am using a combination of dry and cured live rock. I currently only have one blue-legged hermit crab in the tank right now. On one of the pieces of rock, there is this growth that I have been watching for the past couple of weeks. I originally thought that it was Byropsis algae but now I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jonah

Also, I have what might be a sponge starting to grow on the same rock but am not sure. Any clarification on this would be great. :fish1:

Attachments

• IMG_3510.jpg
    IMG_3510.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3511.jpg
    IMG_3511.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 133
Your observation is rather keen. The algae (algae is a plant by the way) does appear to look like Bryopsis, but based on the fact that you recently set the tank up I cannot imagine you would have the nutrients necessary to fuel its growth. Byropsis is a very tough algae that can drive a hobbyist nuts (I had to deal with it for several months) since it is very resilient a tough to eradicate. Whatever that is, I would definitely remove it since it could technically spread given the right environment. Also, if it continues to spread and maintains the same appearance, I would suggest purchasing a magnesium additive by Kent Marine known as Tech M. It is widely theorized that there is something in this specific product that can take down the Bryopsis, but remember it has to be this particular product.

Good luck.

could be maidens hair sprouting ,
images

Thanks for the advice!
The reason why I don't think it is byropsis is because it hasn't spread. It has just been getting taller..... would a better picture help?

Ok that's probably the best thing I can do.
Thanks for the help!
-Jonah

Back
Top Bottom