Please help identify this algae.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bdonaldson

Aquarium Advice Addict
This algae started growing in my tank and now it is starting to choke out some of my polyps. Can some one tell me what kind it is and hiw to get rid of it.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415626525.441143.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It looks like there's coral on it will that hurt it?

Since my tank is at work I am going to bring in some peroxide tomorrow and dip the corals that have this red algae on.
I did pull one frag out that had this stuff on it and I pulled the red algae off the frag with tweezers but it had already chocked out the coral that was on the frag.

Ok I tried treating two of the corals that had red carpet algae. I treated them with 75% tank water and 25% peroxide. I left the coral in the treated water for about 5 minutes and then put them back in the tank. So I guess I will see what happens in the next couple of days.

Ok the peroxide did work. I came in my office this morning and the red turf algae was gone. The only problem is that on one of the rock I tried it on had two tiny zoa polyps on it and I think they are gone now. Maybe I left it in the peroxide to long.

Does anyone know what type of algae this is. It looks different than hair algae.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1418761536761.jpg
    1418761536761.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 93
Take the whole rock out and remove it. Scrub it down. That stuff can overgrow things. I call it hair algae, it's a pretty generic term.

Take the whole rock out and remove it. Scrub it down. That stuff can overgrow things. I call it hair algae, it's a pretty generic term.

OK thanks sniperhank. I will give it a try. I guess there are different types of hair algae. Good to know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom