Please help identify white "webby" stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DIY

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi.. i have a couple ID's I'd like help with. This is my first SW tank and my first time on this site. I've already spent hours looking through past posts and havnt really recieved any info on what this stuff is.

First off i have a 55 gallon tank, which is gonna be a reef tank, that I started on 8/15/04. I let it start to cycle a bit then added about 20 pounds of LR, with the usual clean up crew, 6 snails, and a bunch of hermit crabs, more to come when it cycles further. Havnt checked my levels today, but everything is ok.

Anyways a few days after i put the LR in this white "webby" stuff started to grow on parts of the LR and some substrate that the LR happens to lay on top of. Its kinda growing in stages, the first pic is when it first appears, hence the "spider web like" appearance. (It whisps off like spider webs in water would, when my crabs go near it, they dont really prefer to eat it either) Then it seems to start growing with patterns in it as you will be able to see in the pics. And also the last pic, on a patch of the white stuff, in the middle something started growing that was orange. Help with this would also be appreciated.

Also I would like to know what I should do about it. Try and get rid of it or leave it. All and any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA

How it starts
stuff2.jpg

How some of it has turned into
stuff1.jpg

The orange stuff in 1 part of it
stuff3.jpg

i also have this on my LR i think it has something to do with the nitrate cycle it showed up at the end of the ammonia cycle. I brushed it off, but it came back. no idea to the cause.

Looks much like an encrusting sponge. Leucosolenia sp. is the closest resemblance I could come up with.

Cheers
Steve

ive noticed now that its starting to change to a dark green color in spots.. so encrusting sponge eh? so no harm for my tank?

and thanks guys :)

Back
Top Bottom