Please help with algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chireaux

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have been having this algae for at least six Months probably more. I scoop it out of the sand bed with my net but it ways comes back. It is most on the sand bed but does produce stringy hair type algae also. I frequently test for nitrates etc which are always fine.
I also only feed 3 times a week

Here is what I have in my tank;
1400 power head
Bh 1000 octopus skimmer
Aqua clear 110 hob filter
I use rodi water
6-8 large snails
6-8 hermit crabs
2 clown
1 pseudochromis
40 lb LR

Cyanobacteria? can you take a picture?
Algae problems stem from excessive nutrients. I would be doing regular water change along with manual removal of any algae.

Here are some pics, do these help?

image-3373443932.jpg

Attachments

• image-204946906.jpg
    image-204946906.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 74
if you are at your wits end you could try some chemiclean. That stuff usually wipes out the cyano and it doesn't come back IF you keep the nutrient level low. It's really just a band-aid for a bigger problem, but if you've done enough water changes to remove the source, and it's still there, it can be frustrating. I'm saying it's cyanobacteria from the stringy description. It appears to be either cyano, or diatoms. Ongoing diatoms in a 6 month old tanks sounds a bit strange.
here's some info on cyano-
Cyanobacteria, AKA Red Slime Algae
and diatoms-
About Nuisance Aquarium Diatoms & Slime Algae

Let me ask you this, I am using a aqua clear hob filter 110, I am still using the original filter and the original porcelain bio ball things.
Should I change or attest clean these things?
I heard you should keep the filter as long as possible but I wonder if it's contributing to the problem?
Also would the carbon help??

Carbon won't help this problem. It certainly would not hurt to completely rinse out the HOb filter and the bio balls (in tank water).
what size tank is this?

It's not going to hurt anything to lose the ceramic rings. I'd thoroughly clean out the filter though.

Can the ceramic rings be harboring algae?
Should I replace them with new ones, or are you just saying they're no good either way.
I appreciate your time by the way.

Those ceramic rings are good for frag plugs for things like green star polyps to grow on. I have a sponge in my ac and some macro algae to use like a hob fuge. It seems to work great for that.

Looks like diatoms. Have you used a tds meter on your top off water?

Chireaux said:
No, I don't know what that is??? I'll look into it.

Oh, never mind. I get my water at the LFS and he test his water with one, but honestly I have no clue of wha the readings are.

Another question,
I cleaned and took apart the ac hob filter today and rinsed the filter media in saltwater.
Should I have taken a brush and cleaned all the tubing etc???... I feel like I was brushing off all of the beneficial bacteria by doing this, But it was pretty filthy.

Back
Top Bottom