Please ID: What is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limemittens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of these little guys came on the rock with our brain coral from the LFS. It has since multiplied on a nearby rock and started to grow. The larger one near the brain coral has a "stalk" on and has moved around the cave behind it a bit. The pictures aren't that great, but they are best my camera could do

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Stuff 2 091.jpg
    Stuff 2 091.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Stuff 2 108.jpg
    Stuff 2 108.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Stuff 2 110.jpg
    Stuff 2 110.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Stuff 2 109.jpg
    Stuff 2 109.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 57
looks like aptasia, a pest anemone often found on live rock, I would try to remove it as it will sting your brain coral

Okay..just looked up aptasia and it suggested NOT to scrap them off because it causes more. I already have two and don't want anymore if they are going to harm my bran new coral. What is the best way to get rid of them?

You can make your own injectable by purchasing Calcium Hydroxide or Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime (grocery store) and mixing with fw or sw (I prefer sw). Half a spoonful of either and a little water creates a creamy-watery liquid easily taken in through a syringe. Inject .05ml (cc), depending on aiptasia size, into the stalk and then release .1ml (cc) onto the tentacles. The mixture can even be heated beforehand to increase potency. Here are two references as to what Calcium Hydroxide looks like (many brands retail this) and Mrs. Wages:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~esv%20kalkwasser~action~view ~idProduct~EV2102~idCategory~FIADCAKW~category~E.S .V._Calcium_Hydroxide_4_lb_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supp lies_Additives_Calcium_Kalkwasser~vendor~.html
What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Ditto what Innovator said. If you don't want to make your own there is also a product called Joes Juice around that is made of the same thing that will get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom