Please identify what's in my sandbed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

syte

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Could someone please help me figure out what the black dots in the sandbed are along with the hair-like things? Are these bad?

KIutx.jpg

KIutx

syte said:
Could someone please help me figure out what the black dots in the sandbed are along with the hair-like things? Are these bad?

No worries, the small black things are just pockets of trapped air/gas. The hair-like things are tunnels dug by worms and other microfuana living it your sand bed.

Hey Schism, thanks for the response! Could it possibly be hydrogen sulfide pockets? Also, is it okay to stir up the sand bed every once in a while?

syte said:
Hey Schism, thanks for the response! Could it possibly be hydrogen sulfide pockets? Also, is it okay to stir up the sand bed every once in a while?

Not very likely. Especially in a newer tank. Most likely nitrogen i would think. How old is the tank? And how deep the sand bed?

My tank is about 2 1/2 months old, and my deep sand bed is about 4". Thanks again for the advice :).

syte said:
My tank is about 2 1/2 months old, and my deep sand bed is about 4". Thanks again for the advice :).

Ok since your running a deep sand bed i suggest only stirring around the top inch or so. If you stir the rest its best to do in portions like 10% weekly for instance.

But 2 1/2 months is not enough time to build up hydrogen sulfide. Pockets of hydrogen sulfide form over long periods of time undisturbed with large amounts of rotting organics. So maintaining your sand bed is important.

Back
Top Bottom