Pls help identify: Clear, thread-like growth!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

antjefferson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am hoping that you can provide me with some guidance. I have a reef aquarium, and just recently (yesterday), something strange appeared on my live rock. I noticed something like 5 or 6 long, clear, thread-like strands growing across several of the rocks. The strands lay across the tops of the rock... and all seem to originate in the same place... the dark little cave-like crevice where one of my domino damsel's likes to hide out. It doesnt look like algae... it looks like... well... I dont really know what it looks like. It looks like clear thread or fishing line. Doesnt look like a "feather duster". At first glance, I thought it was (dont laugh) an egg sac or sperm. The very tips of the "thread" move with the current. The fish dont seem to be bothered by it... although they do seem like they may be a bit more "edgy" than usual. (Not sure if that is because I had my face up to the glass trying to figure out what this growth was, though.) Could it be a worm? A coral growing on the live rock? Any thoughts?
Thanks for the info!

-Tony

Sounds like a spaghetti worm. They are harmless and actually perform janitorial duties in your tank. They send out those mucus covered "threads" to collect detrius from the rock. Nothing to worry about. :) HTH

Back
Top Bottom