Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2004, 02:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pls help identify this...is it an anemone?

These two creates were on some lr that I recently recd from liverocks.com. Can anyone tell me what they are?

Click here to see

Sorry pictures are a bit blurry... there are two things that I think are anemones..sorry I'm a total newbie at this.

Old 05-01-2004, 02:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

bad news... I think its an aptasia. ( not sure on spelling and id, im a newb)
You should probably get some advice from the pros soon.

Old 05-01-2004, 03:25 AM   #3
cj10488

Acording to Ron over at Liverocks.com Aipstatia are not found in the areas where their LR is collected and are supposed to be Rock Anemones... I have not had any issues with mine but In my Reef Tank I have always nuked them.. In my agressive setup I left them.. Its kinda up to you... Mine have never posed a problem nor have they gone and spread like mad.. If it were me and My Reef I would nuke It with some Joes Juice..

HTH<
James
Old 05-01-2004, 10:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've checked out a few pictures of "rock anemones" (Aiptasia), but I don't see a resemblance... not to say that it isn't, because I really don't know. Maybe they come in different varieties or something.

I always planned on only a fish system with live rock...so I don't think my lighting is sufficient to allow an anemone to thrive (65W pc SmartLite).

If it is a " gooe" anemone, I would like to do whatever I can to let it live..if not, I'll get rid of it.

Thanks for the comments!
Old 05-01-2004, 12:59 PM   #5
cj10488

The lighting is not going to make a difference.. They seem to me non Photosynthetic.. I have 3 or 4 of them in a 55g with 2x55w PC lights and before the other day they were under a single 55w PC.. I would either Keep it in the tank or nuke it with some Joes Juice.. Your Choice..

James
Old 05-01-2004, 04:27 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj10488
Acording to Ron over at Liverocks.com Aipstatia are not found in the areas where their LR is collected and are supposed to be Rock Anemones...
They actually list Aiptasia tagetes (glass anemones) on their list of possible hitchikers.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-04-2004, 03:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

After examining more pictures of Aiptasia, I'm pretty sure that is what it is. I had some different pictures of them before that didn't really resemble what I have...but I have discovered a 3rd one on a smaller rock.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

it looks more like a majano anemone. they are very aggressive and spread like wildfire. I have not found anything that eats them on a regular basis. You have ot inject them with either boiling water, peroxide, lemon juice, kalk wasser...

Tags
anemone, identify

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com