plz IDENTIFY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dayna

Aquarium Advice Regular
help me identify this....

inside my live rock in the holes

i've counted about 8 stringy "arms" about less than 1 millitmeter thick and can strech up to 2 inches long

"arms" are brown and white stripped

dig through the sand and pull up peices of substrate ( the actually crushed coral, not left over food/ debris) inside the holes in the live rock.

every once and a while it spits out this slimy stuff.

i've yet to see what actaully is INSIDE the hole in the live rock...

btw i have 2 of these on 1 peice of rock... and they are pulling all the crushed coral up to the rock....

anyone know what this is?

I think they are spaghetti worms. They are not harmful to your tank I don't think. I got a couple of them myself. Those stringy arms will extend alot more than 2 inches. They seem to gather food from the substrate.
You guys with the expierience, correct me if I am wrong.

Mike

hmm okay... i sit there for hours watching them waiting to see more of them.. but all i see is "arms" hahah

I have dozens of them in my LR, it drove me mad for a long time trying to figure out what they were also.

Very cool -- I just noticed a bunch in my LR as well this past weekend.
Thanks!
Matt

Spagetti worms

Not starfish legs...no.no. These are extremely fine and thin. Get a manifying glass to watch the sand transportation process at work. Fascinating.

Some of mine extend 8-12 inches away from the centre, and there are lots of "arms" (12 or more).

The jettison of the collection always causes a lot of excitement from my guests..."Whoh...what was that!!???" The jettison happens so often in my tank that I could probably get a photo of it.

I've very glad to hear everyone else has them...and also that other people have spend the time required to watch what they do. It all happens very slowly...

The jettison of the collection always causes a lot of excitement from my guests..."Whoh...what was that!!???" The jettison happens so often in my tank that I could probably get a photo of it.

Yep, looks like the rock is smoking or something......I was always trying figure out where that was coming from. At first I thought it was the scooter blenny doing it but then it happened once when he was at the other side of the tank. It is facinating to watch them transport the "food" along those tiny microscopic tentacles.

I have seen this in my tank also. Funny though I thought my powerheads were actually spitting out the sand particles :oops: . At first when I saw it I would go pull the ph and clean it (like I actually thought I was doing something). :lol:

That is too funny -- I had the same thing as well -- made me do a double take. Although, I'll have to look closer near the filter intake, as my filter sometimes spits out a blast of dust. Always wondered what the heck was going on! Thanks!
Matt

Back
Top Bottom