Pods or baby snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfiereefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok , maybe in spending too much " up close " time with my tank , but it's my first one and I love finding life ^_^
I've been wanting to get a mandarin but wanna make sure I wall have a pod supply and plan I let the tank mature a while first , but I was watching my snail eat and saw a bunch of these lil critters on the glass near it and just wondering if it's baby snails or pods for a mandarin ^_^

Yeah my snail was eating near them and when it touched a few the " twitched " away in random directions

Awesome , I give a couple of months to breed like ..... Well pods , get me a mandarin maybe later in the summer

Newfiereefer said:
Awesome , I give a couple of months to breed like ..... Well pods , get me a mandarin maybe later in the summer

How big is your tank? If its not very big then the mandarin will eat them all in a week even if they do breed and the fish will probably starve

Nu-Nu the eel said:
How big is your tank? If its not very big then the mandarin will eat them all in a week even if they do breed and the fish will probably starve

I have a 55g an I plan on adding a hang in refuge this weekend coincidentally , until i can set one up under the main tank with all the necessary plumbing , and of thaws pods came from the rock I think there is no way a mandarin will get them all , I have a brittle star that I've only seen once pole a leg out of a hole :-/

I'd call a 55 the BARE minimum for a Mandarin, and only if you have a lot of LR and a refugium. The goal should be to get the mandarin on frozen foods ASAP, but if it doesn't work, you really don't want to have to buy more pods every week.
Consider this. In the wild, Mandarin Dragonets have been observed eating a copepod every 3-5 seconds. Let's go with 5. So that means 7 pods per minute.
That's 420 copepods per hour. Assuming a 10 hour photoperiod (they do sleep at night, and even change color to do so), that's 4,200 pods every day.
29,400 pods in a week. Now, an 8 oz bottle of Algagen Reefpods Tisbe costs about $15, and is guaranteed to have 100-200 pods.
Do you see what I'm getting at here?
If the Mandarin is not able to eat at about that rate, it will very slowly starve to death, and without a refugium (and I don't mean an HOB), you're unlikely to keep up that kind of population in a 55.
Will he eat every last pod and then just die in a few days? Nope. He'll eat every one he can get to at 7/minute. Then it'll be 5/minute... 3/minute... 2/minute... and he'll be wasting away as fewer and fewer pods are in places he can reach them.
Not trying to be doom and gloom here. I'm getting a Mandarin hopefully tomorrow. but I have a very well established refugium teeming with pods, as well as 60+ lbs of LR in my 55.
They're gorgeous fish, and I want you to have one, but I don't want you to watch is die slowly. So my advice is get your refugium set up, as large as you can go, and stock it with pods. Reefs2go has an Amphipod/copepod blend at an unbeatable price. I'd get 1000 (buy 1, get 1 free!) and use that to start your fuge going. THEN wait a few months. Just my 2 cents. I want you to succeed!! LOL

Yeah I don't ever want to get a fish and watch it die, that is why I would never get a Morish idol , beautiful fish , but high maintenance , and I agree I want to get a mandarin that is already eating prep foods preferably , but I love the fact that a natural food source is there to feed it when I'm not , that will just keep the fish happier , right now I have 32lb of LR and plan on getting at least another 15-30lb , thanks for feeding info that puts things into perspective big time , and no it wasn't all doom and gloom I like to think of it as ... Care and beware :)

mandarins do nothing but hunt for pods ALL day. lol Mine eats prepared foods but still hunts all day. She can get into the tiniest spots too so pods aren't really safe from a hungry mandarin. lol

Some of the LR I have is filled with crazy holes , it's been in there for 3 weeks I saw the legs of a brittle star a few days ago poking out and I haven't seen it sense 0_0 ...... Although after Clamps ( my CBS ) tore a leg off him I wouldn't be showing my self much either . One of the reasons I want a mandarin is because they are so active , and on the go . But I will wait until things are a lil more ready for him

Thats a smart move. My 125g is teeming with pods, I mean there are thousands at any given time but I am still hesitant to put one in there for fear she will eat them all up! LOL And the ORA one I have in my biocube is eating prepared but I wouldnt recommend the weaning onto frozen food, it took like a month of constant target feeding to get her to eat. It drove me crazy not knowing if she was gonna starve or not.

There are plenty of active fish you can add though. :)

How about a couple chromis? I have blue reef chromis and they are bright blue and very active all over the tank.

carey said:
Thats a smart move. My 125g is teeming with pods, I mean there are thousands at any given time but I am still hesitant to put one in there for fear she will eat them all up! LOL

Ha, Carey I think you'll be fine. I've had mine for about six months in a 90, half that time was without a sump or a fuge, and my mandarin has not gotten anywhere near eating them all up. On glass alone I still have thousands. She eats solely live foods and I still have an over abundance.

Yeah chromis are great I love mine , I have 2 ATM , are there any other fish that will eat the pots ? Cause I have seen my clown and chromis nip at the glass and couldent figure out why and this would explain it

Yep, most fish will eat pods if given the chance. When I pout pods into my cube for the fuge every fish had a total field day eating them. LOL

Back
Top Bottom