Poisonous hare????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amosora

Aquarium Advice Activist
It this the one which release toxins that may kill most of my fish?

Attachments

• image-3058606565.jpg
    image-3058606565.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 227
I think it's the one I have, a BAli sea hare. And from what Iwas told they do not ink. I've handled my hare several times, moved him several times and he hasn't inked yet. :)

Just make sure he has enough to eat cause after the algae is gone he can starve. Mine eats algae sheets.

Ps if he just stay in one place for 5min is he just resting or dead? How would i know if he's sick or dead. Thanks

Mine stays in one place all day usually and comes out around 6pm. They are very slow creatures lol. You could poke at him with your finger and try to make him move. Also, a good sign is that he is pooping. Mine is CONSTANTLY pooping, even when he hides during the day. So I actually go by that to make sure he's ok. LOL

as far as i know,that sea hare can cause issues in a tank if it dies abruptly. Most of them starve to death slowly in tanks and shrink up to less than lethal sizes before they die. This is why folks feel they are safe.

Guess I'm doing good by mine, he's actually doubled in size in just a few months and I have very little algae in my tank.

I do a daily check on him too, to make sure he isn't dead. Anything dead and rotting in the tank can cause a crash from what I hear anyways.

X, do these guys actually ink? I've had mine in my hands so many times and he's never inked. I've saved him from floating around on the top of the water and I would think that was stressful enough to ink but he didn't. Or am I just lucky?
LOL

I don't know if it's the ink that does the damage, but they do have a gland for defense. I've handled them quite a bit too, and they don't seem to stress that easily. I would imagine it might take a bite or some kind of trauma to trigger it's defense.

OK, cool. My hare is probably the least stressed animal that I own. LOL

I'll continue to keep my eye on him, would hate to lose Bob, I've become quite attached to him.

I named mine bobby :) but he is now inside my overflow tank tube, i dont know what to do. Should i push him down. good thing i have 2 tubes but i can't get him out. I really should put a net or something. I think he will die. Ohhh pure bobby :-( I'm worried that he'll die w/o enough water or O2. Help pls.

the inside of the overflow tube is filled with water, isn't it? it will be fine. it's just looking for food. do you have an abundance of algae in the tank to sustain a slug of that size?

mr_X said:
the inside of the overflow tube is filled with water, isn't it? it will be fine. it's just looking for food. do you have an abundance of algae in the tank to sustain a slug of that size?

I think he's dead. He clogged the tube, so nothing can go thru but yesterday there is water is passing thru that tube. He is dead poor bobby. Thanks anyways Mr. X

Lesson learned. If the hare can fit in he will go. Sorry about bobby, I'd be upset if my Bob died on me. :-(

Back
Top Bottom