Possible Xanthiid? Need help before acclimation is done

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisc0

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello, I got this pink cats paw and it has a crab on it. I think its a xanthiid, but not sure. If its safe I would like the diversity, but if there is a question I would rather send it to the holding tank. Thanks

The shell shape and claws do resemble an acro crab. I have seen red ones before but they more commonly have white claws. Personally I would take the chance but as many will warn (and with good reason) claws are not the best reef inhabitants.

Cheers
Steve

Well, I removed him from the colony. Here is a better pic of him now that he is out of hiding. Deep purple shell with red and black legs/claws. I am going to drop him in the QT tank for now. If he turns out to be harmless i'll put him back where he belongs.

Actually the flat carapace and large claws are on par for an acro crab. They will not damage corals as a rule and will quite often protect the coral from predators. I would definately hold on to it but be sure you find it something to hide in/under while you decide and be sure it gets fed 8)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom