Problem with something red...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toby162

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HELP!!! I have a 30 gallon micro-reef tank. I have one blue damsal, one clown fish, one citron gobie, one cleaner shrimp and one flower anemone. I have had the tank for one year and added the live rock about 10 months ago. I let the tank cycle and the nitrate, nitrite and amonia levels are all good. I waited about two months before adding anything beyond the blue damsal to the tank. Ever since adding the live rock though, I have had a problem with some sort of red algea growing on the acrylic walls and the sand that is exposed to the light (sand under the rocks does not seem to have much problem). I thought it may be red slime but I have treated this at least 6 times and it has no effect on it. I did have red slime in the tank and after the first or second treatment it was gone. That leads me to believe it is not red slime. I have no idea what it is or how to get read of it. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

A picture would help a lot, post one if you can. Is the red algae hard? It could be coraline algae if it is hard and a little purple in color, but you propably want this in SW tank. If this is what it is your talking about, it would have come with the live rock since the coraline spores would have been growing on the live rock.

I know you said you've battled red slime in the past but, that's what it sounds like. Cyanobacteria. Does it seem to go away some when the lights are out?

If it is on the sand it does sound like cyno. Check your PO4 levels and post the results. A pic or two would be great.

I will test the phosphate levels and will post pictures ASAP.

I had that same problem I used Poly-Ox by kent, 3 drops per. gal. works slow and it takes time, but it all forms into small bubbles and I sucked it out, you must check your PO4 levels you it does not come out again GOOD LUCK---

Looks like a mild case of cycno. Test for PO4, both in the tank and source water. Start using RO/DI water for changes and top-offs. Do several small water changes to remove the PO4 from water (if present). I would add one or two more PH to create a caotic water current in your tank. Try to elliminate the dead spots in the corners of the tank. You can also try a product called Chemi-Clean by Boyd Enterprises, INC. IF wil get rid of the present algea, but you still to stop the problem at it's source. Also, how old are your bulbs? If they are over a year you should look at replacing them. Good Luck...Lando

Yup, definitely Cyano. It isn't completely abnormal when you added a bunch of LR recently. Vacuum it out to keep things neat, but it will eventually pass provided that you have good habits and are keeping your PO4 down as Lando recommends.

I will try everything you suggest. I will let you know the results! Thanks!!!!

The level of my PO4 measured 8.6. Is this bad for a SW aquarium? Do I need to lower it?

WOW, that is high. You will realy need to lower it. What test kit did you use? Next, test the water that you use for top-offs and water changes. I would do several 15-20% water changes using RO/DI water that is free of PO4. You can also run a PO4 sponge by kent or Seachem. The important thing with those is to not leave it in the tank for too long or it will leech PO4 back into the system. Leave it in for two or three days and replace it. You have identified the problem now so step on is out of the way. Good luck and keep us posted...Lando

Should I test the salt water or the RO/DI water? I use RO water for top-offs. I use salt water for larger water changes.

Test the water you use for top-offs and the water you use to make your SW.

Hey, you are going to hate me. I think I tested for the wrong thing. I borrowed a test kit from my Uncle who got me hooked on this and it was for PH not PO4. I will retest everything and post the results (as soon as I figure out what I am doing). Sorry!!

I've got a few Mexican red tip hermits but haven't noticed them munch on cyano yet. I'm gonna pick up another half dozen and see what happens.

I purchased more hermit crabs today. I also got a PO4 test kit and a PO4 sponge. I have been changing about 2.5 gallons of water every three days. The PO4 of the water measurd about 0.5. That seems pretty low to me. Honestly, I have not seen any change in the red algea growing on the sand. Is it to early? I will keep you posted.

Nerite snails eat cyano. I only know of liveaquaria selling them though. Also, if it hasn't been suggested already, try adding more waterflow.

Back
Top Bottom