propagating yellow polyps....Unidentified starfish..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stnmtn01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just purchased some yellow polyps from the lfs. (was told they were easy beginner's coral) It has about 20-30 polyps on a piece of rock. I have it sitting in between some of my LR, hoping it will spread on its own to other rocks. Will it propagate on its own or can I cut it and place them in different areas of my tank?

also..the yellow polyp rock I bought had a unidentified starfish come out when I put it in my tank..great deal from the lfs, who had no idea.. :lol: He's about the size of a half dollar and is maroon color and has many bristles on it.. Does anyone know what kind of starfish it is?

Place the so that the polys are against another piece of rock and wait a month or so, they will spread to the other rock. I noticed one day that the rock mine came on got partially rolled over by a crab of mine, so the polyps were actual laying on the bottom rock and when i went to reposition it it felt like it was glued the the bottom piece of LR. I pulled it away and noticed the the polyps spread to the other rock.
Found that trick totaly by accident. :mrgreen:

I cant take any pics, he exposed himself for like 5 seconds and took off underneath all the rocks.. :( He was quite fast for a starfish.. sorry..If he ever comes out, i'll try to take a pic of him/her :lol:

stnmtn01 said:
I cant take any pics, he exposed himself for like 5 seconds and took off underneath all the rocks.. :( He was quite fast for a starfish.. sorry..If he ever comes out, i'll try to take a pic of him/her :lol:

Look like this except the color difference?

Cheers
Steve

serpent star!! :D Sand sifter, noturnal. beneficial to your system. According to what I was told. Of course that was by a lfs :roll: . We all know how that is, (maybe he just wanted to sell me one) :roll: .

:( :( I paid 10 bux for mine. But he is about 10 inches across. I'm just glad to know he is a keeper. The same lfs tried to sell me a horseshoe crab. :roll: That's something I don't beleive I want.

Black and orange/red brittle stars are actually very good surface substrate detrivors. Unlike the green ones they are no danger to tank mates and make a good addition.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom