Purple/White Moss Exclusive on Honeycomb Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonJohnDes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon saltwater aquarium. It's currently cycling and thusly undergoing plenty of changes, it's chemical stats are as follows: PH 8.0, Ammonia 0.00, NO2 0.25, NO3 2.0, SG 1.021, Temp 78*

There's plenty of powerhead circulation, it's sitting on a combination of live reef sand and crushed coral. I have about 25 pounds of cured live rock, 20 pounds of honeycomb rock and ten pounds of lava rock.

A day after dropping in the required dose of PH-Up drops to bring the PH to a healthy 8.2 (it ended up remaining at 8.0), a white/purple moss started growing over all the honeycomb rock, and only the honeycomb rock. It looks like a very thin layer of melted wax, with a white and purple hue to it. It waves in the current, loosely covers the rock yet takes effort to break or blow away. None of the other rocks have a trace of this substance on them, yet after repeated removal, it returns to the honeycomb rock. Is this caused by the PH-Up drops, is it a bacterial reaction? Is it a seperate form of algae or bacteria that's growing? Will it clear? Any help would be extraordinary.

The picture I enclosed shows the honeycomb rock, surrounded by the uneffected live rock. The whitish coating is the problem I'm talking about.

Yeah, it's baserock. Last time I checked, you don't need to "cure" baserock, considering it's lifeless. I rinsed it in water for a good thirty minutes, getting all loose particals/sand off. It's still there and strong as ever, days after the photo.

Back
Top Bottom