Pyrimid Snail???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

cj10488

I was wondering If I just may have found my clam killers?? Are these pyrimid snails?? If not can anyone Identify??

TIA,
James

They may or may not be your clam killers, but they are not Pyramid snails. I missed the post on your ding clam, either describe it's decline or give me a link and I'll try to come up with a clue.

Well what happened was I went to bed and the Clam looked great.. When I woke up it was Gapping.. I checked around for anything that could have bother it but didnt find anything.. About 3 hours later It started seperating from the shell and was toast.. All the levels stayed the same and everything has been doing great since.. I never saw anything going near it it was just the wierdest thing as they were supposed to be real hardy but this one died extremely fast.. I noticed it was Gapping and within a total of 6 hours it started peeling away from the shell and was completely unresponsive and shrunk up..

James

but this one died extremely fast

When a clam goes...it goes quick, once the death throws begin (and you never even notice it) it's too late.

When you bought the clam...had it been at the LFS long? Had it attatched to the rock there? How was it removed from the tank? Were the byssal threads cut with a razor...close to the rock, or was it just pulled out?

When it was at the LFS I would say maybe a month or 2.. They had quite a few in there one month and approx a month later the still had them all there... They were kept in a tupperware container filled with Sand and as they stated this made it safe to move the clam without hurting it.. When I got it there was no threads out.. A few days after I got it it seemed to have had a few threads coming out and attaching to the ceramic plate that I had burried about 1/2" under the sand bed... I drip acclimated it for about an hour after letting it float in the sump for about 15 mins.. I had it for about a week or 2 before its demise..

Tia,
James

PS are the snails safe to go back in the tank??

BTW this all happened before the light change.. So far everything seems to be doing awesome under the new lights.. If its any consulation I have many many hitchhiker clams in the tank that have been with me since day 1 that are still alive..

James

PS Kev you are totally Awesome 100 kudos to you for all your hard work and devotion to the people on this site....

James

PS are the snails safe to go back in the tank??

I don't know, I don't know what kind of snails they are.

I am at a loss for how your clam died, I thought perhaps the LFS was not careful, if it had attatched byssal threads and they just pulled it out, it could easily have gotten it's byssal organ pulled out, which is fatal.

I am at a loss for how your clam died
This is how I feel as well. I am pretty sure that some sort of predator in my tank must have gotten it during the night as it seemed fine up until then.. I have decided that I am going to get a Maxima or Crocea sometime after X-mas And put it up in the rockwork and pray that it will survive..

James

I was not able to find a match for the two whitish snails but I am fairly confidant they are from the conidae family aka conus snails. They are from what I understand a predator snail and they can/will prey on other mollusks.

The other one looks much like what I found on a shell ID site... Mitromorpha hierroensis

See what you think :?:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom