Quick id, I have no clue but scary!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reanea03

Aquarium Advice Regular
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398384949.468750.jpg

Pulled 3 of these out of my sump after removing some broke down cheato.. Good, bad (further advise if this is the case please)? What is it?

Look up mantis shrimp. Some people like them but other find them to be pests and get rid of them.

That's what my first thought was.. Can they become problematic?

So are we 100% sure its baby mantis?? I lost my clam and when I pulled it out I scooped some of the sand and there were 8 of these little guys that I could count. Just don't know if I should be worried or if my nitrates (which were at 40 and now 5 over a 48 hr span) was more to blame for the loss.

Less nitrates is not going to kill your clam. I disagree those are mantis shrimp. Some type of pod like creature IMO. Mantis tend to be larger and have very developed eyes. They aren't colonial either. With you having so many of them I'd pin it to an isopod or similar organism

Any other thoughts on why my clam went south? (Duncan's and frogspawn as well as trumpets are all regenerating tissue) I don't remember the readings but 1-1/2 week ago my lfs store tested for calcium and alk both were acceptable. 3 yr 7 mo old tank running 52 bulb led, skimmer and sump.

It was one of the first things added so let's say 3 years, deressa. And 6"

Sigh... I know, I'm at a loss and my 3" crocea is just as happy as can be.

Back
Top Bottom