quick! what is this!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
Should I put it back in? About 1.5 cm long, big black eyes.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 436
Thumper said:
Look kinda like a mantis shrimp. any better pics

I can't get my camera to focus any better... erg. Still trying...

Not a pod, though, right? Pods are smaller?

He swims, doesn't have eyes up on stalks like I thought mantis did.

It's a cirolanid isopod and a fish killer. It needs to be removed.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
It's a cirolanid isopod and a fish killer. It needs to be removed.

Done! Whew! I found it just by chance while turning over a rock... a follow up... how likely that I've got a bunch of these if I've got one?

copi said:
how likely that I've got a bunch of these if I've got one?
It's pretty rare to get even one so I wouldn't be overly concerned about more. Definately be on the watch though it's still possible.

Cheers
Steve

Seems they are not uncommon on lr.com orders. Several people here have had some come along with their order. If I remember correctly, the hunting technique was to use a red flashlight after lights off and look for signs of them attached to a fish.

cmor1701d said:
If I remember correctly, the hunting technique was to use a red flashlight after lights off and look for signs of them attached to a fish.

Do they attach to fish and then let go again in the morning such that you might not know if you've got one without making a point to look at night?

ohhps I just put one of them back into the tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Found it in the filter.

But my Royal G toock care of it. It got eaten right away, hope she is not getting sick :?:

I confirm receiving at least one in my LR. com shipment. I wasn't able to catch it, and I've never seen it since. My fish have never shown any injury..so I'm lucky.

Whats a good predator to have in your tank to help control these cirolanid isopods (other than a Royal Gama)?

Back
Top Bottom