Really starting to get mad, what is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
So this stuff used to come a little when my old t5 bulbs started to die. But I have LED's now so that's not it.

Seems like no matter how much water I change it doesn't subside. If I can just figure out what it is that'll help. Its like white and fuzzy-hair but nothing like how green hair algae is. It doesn't come off either, even when scrubbed with a toothbrush.

Thanks!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131116_214537.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131116_214537.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 265
  • ForumRunner_20131116_214613.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131116_214613.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 271
It's difficult to see clearly. Possibly hydroids? I'm inclined to think animal rather than algae because of the color. Would you be able to isolate a single specimen or draw a picture?

It's difficult to see clearly. Possibly hydroids? I'm inclined to think animal rather than algae because of the color. Would you be able to isolate a single specimen or draw a picture?

It is reallly hard to take a picture of, its not hydroids, is definitely "algae like", nothing shows to suspect it an animal IMO.

I can try and get better pictures today once I'm home from work

Most algae have pigmentation, green, red, whatever. These look clear and colorless, but that could be the lighting.

Well, there are many sessile invertebrates that might look like plants at first. Most non aquarium types are surprised to learn that corals are animals. I'll do some more looking online after work.

Well, there are many sessile invertebrates that might look like plants at first. Most non aquarium types are surprised to learn that corals are animals. I'll do some more looking online after work.

I know coral are animals, its all over on different rocks, its not in only one spot.

I didn't mean to imply you didn't! So sorry if it sounded that way! I just meant that there are some odd looking tiny sessile animals. BUT! I think I figured this one out. I think you have chysophytes, a marine silicate based algae. Related to diatoms, sometimes called golden algae. There are some colorless types that can be almost predatory. Check out the picture herehttp://www.chucksaddiction.com/conditions.html and tell me if that looks like the culprit.

I didn't mean to imply you didn't! So sorry if it sounded that way! I just meant that there are some odd looking tiny sessile animals. BUT! I think I figured this one out. I think you have chysophytes, a marine silicate based algae. Related to diatoms, sometimes called golden algae. There are some colorless types that can be almost predatory. Check out the picture herehttp://www.chucksaddiction.com/conditions.html and tell me if that looks like the culprit.

Its all good, that looks pretty close to what I've got!!!! Mine isn't as "long" but its just like that

I'd suggest checking your silicate levels if you can, and continuing with your increased water change schedule. Try to starve them out. Or just decide they're pretty. Lol

I'd suggest checking your silicate levels if you can, and continuing with your increased water change schedule. Try to starve them out. Or just decide they're pretty. Lol

Ill look for a test, but theoretically won't they test zero either way since the algae is consuming it? I guess the test could allow me to try and find if its coming from my water supply though. I make my own ro/di

Lmao, I don't think I'll be able to find them pretty.. Maybe if I squint really hard and tilt my head?

I'd guess that if there's enough for them to grow, they won't absorb it all instantly, so some should be detectable. But check your source water, too.
At least one mystery is solved!

Silicates are common in tap water. Is that what you are using?

I make ro/di, but from tap water yes. But I never use tap water. I also have 4 other tanks and none have this problem, if that helps. I have a BRS 5 stage 75gpd filter. Changed the di resin and sediment filter on 8/30/13.

SC20131118-225820.jpg
I found this picture in google by searching chrysophytes, this is exactly what mine looks like.

Huh. Well, we now know what you have. The new question is why you have them. Maybe someone like sniperhawk, Melos, or mr_x will chime in...

Huh. Well, we now know what you have. The new question is why you have them. Maybe someone like sniperhawk, Melos, or mr_x will chime in...

Exactly, but just knowing what it is makes it better. I'm gonna research chrysophytes more in the morning to see what it looks like exactly I need to do (obviously remove silicates).

Back
Top Bottom