red algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m013y

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have some redbribbon algae. (I think) i comes and goes i mostly spend my time brushing it off the rocks but it grows over my coral stopping it from growing. Any ideas on how i can stop it coming back?

Any comments appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120815_213600.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120815_213600.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 70
  • ForumRunner_20120815_213645.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120815_213645.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 64
That is cyanobacteria. It is caused by excess nutrients in the tank. Are you using RO/DI water? How much are you feeding your tank? Using RO/DI and reducing amount fed are top two ways of ridding yourself of this problem. Siphon out as much of the cyano as you can during water changes as well and increase water flow in the tank if possible.

Side note, in the second picture you have yourself a beautiful aiptasia. They are pests and will over take your tank if not dealt with quickly. I have had success with aiptasia-x while others have nuked them with a syringe and either boiled water or boiled lemon juice shot directly into the anemone's mouth.

I do use RO water in water changes. And i feed mainly frozen or live food, few flakes from time to time. I try to stick to Every other day.
I could put another powerhead in would that stop it settling?

+1 Cyano

Another powerhead aimed at the problem areas should help. You want enough current to keep the water moving, but not stirring up a sandstorm with your substrate. What size is your tank and what's your current powerhead gph rated? People here will be able to suggest a good powerhead for you depending on the sizes.

As for feeding you can siphon out any excess food to cut down on the waste. Feed your fish, wait until they're all done eating or no longer interested in the food and then siphon out the uneaten food. I turn my powerheads off when I feed, wait 5 minutes (I have a cocoworm I spot feed so I make sure he grabs his food), and then scoop out the extra food with a small net.

The issue is probably being fed by overfeeding. Make sure you rinse your frozen foods off in RO/DI as they are frozen in nutrient rich water. In my 55 reef, I feed less than half of a cube for my entire tank and store the rest in the fridge for next week. I only feed once a week.

Really? Half a cube all week... is that all? No flakes or live food?
Thanks for every1s input

Back
Top Bottom