Red Algea??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demotaz7

Aquarium Advice Regular
There is some red algea coming off my rock and sand...it spreads quickly no matter how much i syphon it out. My LFS said its the later part of the cycle...and not to worry, it will go away on its own...my tank is about 7-8 months in. Any other advice? or is my LFS accurate?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Heres a pic...for some reason this app always flips my pics upside down

Attachments

• 1478050423905.jpg
    1478050423905.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 67
Cyanobacteria. A sign of nutrients in the water column and low flow.
If your tank is still cycling, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Once your ammonia and nitrite readings go away you'll be doing large water changes to bring the nitrate down to 0 anyway. Just keep your lights off until the cycle is done and it should subside.

My cycle is done, and ive had fish and coral in it for the last few months. Keeping the lights off would effect my coral wouldnt it. Im also running gfo and carbon...so my nutrients are farely low besides my feedings. Can i just keep my blue lights on instead for awhile? Will that kill the cyano, or will that effect my coral as well?

Having the lights off for a day won't hurt the coral, just the bacteria that are also using the lighting. That said, it is not a solution.
GFO only works towards phosphates and carbon works towards toxins and polishes the water.
The cyano is telling you about what is going on in the water column. You will need to do large water changes to address this along with increasing the flow in the tank, this will also help prevent food and poop from settling in the tank so it can be removed from the filtration in the system.

Back
Top Bottom