Red Cottonlike growth overtaking LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jfcoly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have a growing problem that has prompted me to seek advice. There is a red fluffy growth spreading. It breaks up as I try to remove it which spreads it around. If anyone knows what it is and how to clean it up, please help.

Also, these little green anemones are spreading everywhere. I got two on a coral two years ago and now there are hundreds. I've injected several with kalkwasser to thin the population a couple times, but they keep spreading. Do they sting fish/corals? Should I attempt to eradicate them?

Thanks

Attachments

• red_fluffy_crap2.jpg
    red_fluffy_crap2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 162
8O WOW. My first thought about the red fluffy stuff was that you probably had some cyanobacteria. But, after looking at your pic, I'm not sure. Is that the red fluffy stuff? The anemones looks like majano and yes, they are a pest. They won't both fish but can sting corals. Perhaps try some Joe's Juice to kill them off.

Can't help you on identifying the pink stuff, but it sure is pretty! :D

Anxious to know about this one..... :?:

Basically it's red hair algae although that wouldn't be it's true common name. As far as I have been able to find, it a species of Ceramium sp. Possibley Ceramium virgatum.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks Phases99. I agree the sporophyte photo is just like what I have in the tank growing out of control.

Now, what is a sporophyte and how can I stop it from covering up everything. It thickens up and chokes out the mushrooms, etc.. It is now thick enough that fish movement breaks it loose into the water column, which I believe spreads it around the tank. It is pretty in small amounts, but I think I have to get it under control before it overruns everything.

I copied this from wetwebmedia.com

Showing and growing reds is no problem; they're profuse under minimal "reef" conditions, often "popping-up" on their own and crowding your other specimens. Keeping them in check is done by assiduous scrubbing, scraping, making nutrient less available, and via biological control. Let's expand on these modes:

1) Elbow Grease: CAREFULLY inserting a blade or scrubber between the glass (not acrylic) may be your best route for removing encrusting reds from one or more panels of your system. Rocks, et alia decor and empty, dry aquaria can be mildly "acid-washed" with a dilute, weak acid (like vinegar) to dissolve away calcite skeletons.

2) Less Food: Obviously not adding calcium as a chemical supplement will limit your red algal growth. If you find you've become a red-algae farmer with or without supplementation; and you want to culture other photosynthetic calcium-using life, go to step 3)

3) Biological Controls: Chiefly involves using a suitable sea urchin or two, as most other critters find reds unappetizing. I advise adding them one at a time.

4) Limiting Biominerals and/or Alkalinity. If you have no other purposeful photosynthetic organisms that require these materials, or you can move them to another system...

HTH

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/redalgae.htm

Thanks Fluff,

Is your info for hair algae? Sporophytes? It sounds like it addresses calcareous algaes like coralline. But if this fuzzy red growth is calcareous and photosynthetic:

Would light limiting help? I can use milder light in the morning and evening. I will cut back on the bionic 1&2, but I need some maintainance for birdnest and hammer corals. I'm working on a pump/filter that I can use as a vacuum to thin the growth so it doesn't choke everything.

Also, though I've never measured any nitrate buildup and infrequently do water changes, I worry my fish are becoming oversized for the 80 Gal tank (6" blue tang, 4"yellow tang, coral beauty, 2 clowns). Two years ago, I started it with 110 lbs LR and a few corals, but now it is getting crowded with offspring of everything (many corals and inverts). It is full of healthy life, but I worry about buildup of nutrients. Any thoughts? Should I wait for things to start dieing before panicking? This red stuff scares me.

Actually, I searched sporophyte on wetwebmedia and that link is what I got. Really, it's a pretty generic description that can be used for just about any algae. Your nutrient buildup could be alot of your problem. I would try to test for nitrates and phosphates and see where your at. I wouldnt' wait for things to start dying. The only fish I think you will have problems with is your blue tang. The others should be fine. I wouldn't exactly say your overstocked but, the regal should really be in a larger system. The others should be fine. You stated your water changes are infrequent. Perhaps stepping up those may help get rid of the nutrients this algae is feeding on.

Just so you know...Sporophyte is a biology term that refers to a plant or organism when its in the seed stage or spore stage...a gametophyte is the term for gamete stage or sexual cell like sperm...just trying to clear your confusion

GSXRDan said:
Sporophyte is a biology term that refers to a plant or organism when its in the seed stage or spore stage...a gametophyte is the term for gamete stage or sexual cell like sperm...just trying to clear your confusion
(y) (y)

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sporophyte
Main Entry: spo·ro·phyte
Pronunciation: -"fIt
Function: noun
: an individual or generation of a plant exhibiting alternation of generations that bears asexual spores, is usually not clearly differentiated in algae and fungi, and in vascular plants is the conspicuous form ordinarily seen —compare GAMETOPHYTE —spo·ro·phyt·ic /"spOr-&-'fit-ik, "spor-/ adjective

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom