Red mist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oliverb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Took me months to get rid of my "red mist" on my sand . now ive just up graded my tank its back !!!!
any solution other than cleaning the sand ?
:banghead:

Pic enclosed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 81
No way what test are you using. There's no way you can be zero and have a bloom no way.

The cyano can be feeding off of the free nutrients in the water column before the other bacteria in the tank get to use it. It's not really common but it happens. However, it is a good sign that the nitrates and phosphates are at 0 because it wont require as big of a change on your part to take care of the problem.

I'm doing a 15% water change every other day to try and get rid

The cyano can be feeding off of the free nutrients in the water column before the other bacteria in the tank get to use it. It's not really common but it happens. However, it is a good sign that the nitrates and phosphates are at 0 because it wont require as big of a change on your part to take care of the problem.

It still won't be zero for it to show like that one or both is above zero. I still want to know what test he or she is using if its API I know for a fact it's not zero if they lived in Li I would go there and test just to show it's not zero.

Still feeding off of something. Even increasing flow will help, but not solve the issue since they are feeding off nutrients in your water column. Tests can often read 0 if they are being consumed by the issue.

I'm doing a 15% water change every other day to try and get rid

A 15% change isn't really going to pull much out of the tank, especially when you are reading 0s on the test kits. Start with manual removal, reduce feedings, and then continue from there.

When I said water change , this is done by hovering the sand then obviously replacing the water with fresh. But I will reduce the feed.
I'm also adding phitoplancton , should I stop this ?
Thanks for the help

It depends on the phytoplankton. If it's a live culture I wouldn't worry about stopping but the dead phytoplankton can be considered to be nitrates in a bottle. I would target feed the phytoplankton if there is a specific animal you are dosing it for. Otherwise I would probably stop.

Sorry guys did not run away lol. taking some fish from QT to DT. In order for the water change to matter it has to be at least 25% changed.

Having three days without lights on will severely lessen the cyano.

Stop feeding change the Pads In fileter do a nice water change cut down the light time or keep it off for a few days should help.

Back
Top Bottom