Red ruffly growth from rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weagle117

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had a piece of live rock for many months (probably @ 7). Several sponges have been growing on it and a little xenia has attached itself at the bottom. Yesterday I noticed that another little sponge is popping up near the others but also there is a dark red ruffly looking growth coming from 2 separate places. I've looked it up and the only thing I could come up with that looks similar is halymenia. The info that I'm reading says that halymenia is usually free floating. It is fleshy... not hard and is still quite small or I would photograph it. It is in a tank in which there are no corals- except the xenia and some athellia. Nothing new has been added in several months except a few pieces of dead rock. I only have 2 clownfish, a watchman goby, a pistil shrimp, fire shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, hermit crabs & snails... and a sea urchin. I did actually add the sea urchin @ 10 days ago. But he was out of my other tank and I have nothing in there that looks like this. If you have any ideas of what this might be please let me know. I am trying to find pics for comparison since I can't get a good pic at this time. Thanks for your help.

This is the closest pic I can find that looks like it. This is listed as flat halymenia. What is in my tank is so small that I can't see it really well but the part that I can see looks like the very edges of the part in the picture at the top middle. I'm not at all sure that this is what it is. If you have any other ideas of what it could be please let me know.

Attachments

• halymenia.jpg
    halymenia.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 63
A picture of the red ruffled stuff

Here are pictures of my unidentified object. I finally just moved the rock to the front of the tank so I could take a picture.... should have done that in the first place..... When I looked at the picture I thought about an anenome but the edges really do look ruffled... not like tentacles. The first pic is the whole rock. The 2nd one is a close up.... a little fuzzy, but the best I could do.:):)

Back
Top Bottom