Red specs on rocks and glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pony of the Sea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i have been getting these small red specs of what I assume is some sort of algae? A couple weeks ago i had a red slime outbreak on my sand bed. These specs appeared shortly before the red slime outbreak so assumed they were related. but the red slime has been gone for over a week now and these red things continue to stay in the tank.

They are not strongly attached to either the rock nor glass. I have been simply using a syringe and squirting water on the rock to blow the red stuff off.

the red stuff seems to be more concentrated on one rock with a zooanthid frag, not sure if thats just by coincidence or what. They dont seem to be causing any harm, aside from my displeasure but im stumped.

ANY comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
-J

Attachments

• IMG_0492.jpg
    IMG_0492.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 64
have you dealt with flat worms before? Are they something i should be concerned about?

-thanks for the quick response!

Yep, flatworms. I had a really bad infestation in my 20g and used salifert flatworm exit. You MUST follow the instructions exactly but it does work. Took 3 or 4 treatments for my tank but I had thousands of them. lol

i am actually trying to get rid of them in my tank now. i have been using salifert flatworm exit. if you don't take care of them they will over run your tank. you just have to be carful. the flatworm exit won't hurt fish or anything but when the flat worms die they let out a toxin that can hurt your other livestock.

what i have been doing is adding the flatworm exit with no carbon. when i see the flatworms start to die i add carbon to the tank to try to take out the toxins then i will do a 25% water change just to be safe. so far after 2-3 treatments all my livestock is fine. haven't quite got rid of all the flatworms yet but it is working.

Back
Top Bottom