Red splotches on live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scoles_b

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just bought these 2 pieces of LR yesterday. Anyone have any idea what these red splotches are? I tried googling it, many people have asked the question but none of the pics looked anything like this.

Attachments

• image-1352292515.jpg
    image-1352292515.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 124
  • image-3490498581.jpg
    image-3490498581.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 126
Just bought these 2 pieces of LR yesterday. Anyone have any idea what these red splotches are? I tried googling it, many people have asked the question but none of the pics looked anything like this.

Moved it up to the DT to get a better pic.

Attachments

• image-3345271965.jpg
    image-3345271965.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 119
Didn't come off, feels like its stuck there but it has a smooth texture.

My tank is currently still cycling.. I was just afraid it would be something bad. Some spots are smooth and other spots have raised points coming out, weird looking. Also saw a little worm that almost looks like a centipede ?. This is my first SW tank, so I don't know much about hitchhikers yet. Thanks for the input :)

That worm was probably a bristle worm. If it gets huge and looks flat and fat, it's probably a fireworm. There's some amazing hitchhikers out there.

Are the red spots foraminiforin? I know I spelled that wrong, but maybe....

I do believe that is what it is. I have researched it a bit more, and that sounds more like it! My tank is no where near established enough for coralline, I'm sure! LR has been in the tank 3 days and that stuff is already spreading to other rocks... It's crazy!

Back
Top Bottom