Red stick looking thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Any idea what this stuff is on my zoas? It's only on the rock that the zoas came on and doesn't seem to bother them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1392069755527.jpg
    1392069755527.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 264
I have this stuff in my tank as well. Get it off of any/all coral you have. Put it in the sump. Put it against your back glass, it will grow up it. But it has the ability to choke out coral and has been a pain in my rear on anything I didn't catch it on early.

No sump in my tank. Whats the best way to pull it without disturbing the surrounding zoas?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just did my weekly PWC, and this stuff is a major PITA to remove...slimy and when I pull it off, only one or two strands at a time came off. Without killing the zoas, is there a way to do a mass culling of this stuff? I was able to get maybe half of it off... (FWIW, my 'trAtes are 0.2 and phosphates are 0.00)

It might be my big fingers getting slime from the zoas or something...who knows. Either way, I was expecting it to come off in one large mat, not little pieces.

It was starting to really encroach on the zoas, so I want to keep it in check.

I'm totally not sold on that being red turf. I have red turf in my tank that I'm fighting, it came in off a frag and took off. Turf algae can be pulled off in 'tufts' and isn't wiry.

Thankfully, this is just a small piece.

I've read on several other forums that you can dose it directly into the tank, as well.

Well cripes. I hate to dig up an old thread, but it appears that my attempts to remove it from the zoa colony were more or less successful, but it appears that a stray piece found it's way into the sand. I sucked up a bunch last night. Can I just dry the sand out in the oven (to kill the stuff) and put it back in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom