red walking stick bug?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drm

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have some new LR from gulf-view.com, which is 1000 better than my other new LR from liveaquaria.com.....

I found an insect-looking creature, approx 2 cm in total length, red, with 6 legs I believe. The body and legs were all extremely thin, so I thought it was red algae until it started walking. The legs and body look very much like very thin sticks (diameter max 3mm), and its walk reminded me of non-marine insects. But I can't find anything listed like this. Of course, if I see again, I will send a photo. But does anybody know what this is in the mean time?
Thanks.

Try googling sea spiders. They are nasty critters if you have a reef and you'll want to remove it. They feed on soft corals.

Thanks for the help! That is exactly what it is, only red. I've never seen one of these before. I will happily remove...

I'm hunting for him now... Should have pulled him out when I first saw him. I read somewhere that an "infestation" can be disastrous... so maybe I'll move the rock around to find him this weekend. Do you really want it if I find him?

Check around your corals at night. They don't move very fast in my experience so they shouldn't be hard to catch. They just blend in very well.
For some reason, I doubt a mantis would be bothered with a sea spider. It's not like they have much substance.

Back
Top Bottom