Reef safe starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithhjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought this was an Asterina star few months ago. Now it's grown quite a bit. Anyone able to help ID or provide any info on? First pic is from when I first found it. Next pics are it currently. Also it is in my overflow box and has not left in months so right now I'm not too worried about it. A

Attachments

• image-3600729826.jpg
    image-3600729826.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 197
  • image-1976930379.jpg
    image-1976930379.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 208
  • image-3113350440.jpg
    image-3113350440.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 200
Also I know about the Aptasia, I have none in display due to great peppermint shrimp lol.

Is it really small mostly white hints of blue ish or maybe pink but is still basically white? I have a lot of little white stars and they seem to be fine try get a [moderator edit] with some better clarity

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol think you meant "shot". It appears white with maybe bit of brow/beige on top. I'm waiting until it gets in position to get a better shot. When it was small it looked all white btw.

Ohh it's grown quite a bit since u first noticed it mine all stay pretty small I have a couple now but they haven't been getting bigger and yea it was shot lol my bad

Yeah cuz this one is growing fast makes me think it might not be a good reef inhabitant.

Most of my corals are fine. Got a couple stressed but I'm pretty sure that's for other reasons. Also, that starfish hasn't left my overflow box in almost six months.

Keithhjs said:
Most of my corals are fine. Got a couple stressed but I'm pretty sure that's for other reasons. Also, that starfish hasn't left my overflow box in almost six months.

Oh we'll chances are if its growin and not moving its just feeding on ALGEA

I was hoping for that but food does make its way into my overflows. There are a couple of nassarius snails in there too and they are meat eaters I'm pretty sure. So maybe this thing isn't just an algae eater.

Keithhjs said:
I was hoping for that but food does make its way into my overflows. There are a couple of nassarius snails in there too and they are meat eaters I'm pretty sure. So maybe this thing isn't just an algae eater.

I thought that nassarius snails eat detritus

Madreefer420 said:
I thought that nassarius snails eat detritus

They do but they also eat meat. Mine go nuts when I feed my eel or starfish. They come running.

Hmmm well I still don't think I'd be to worried if it was going to eat coral you would h e notice by now at least it moving toward them but if it just chills on the over flow and grows hell keep him goin

Got an underside pic, still waiting for a better top pic. Also first time I seen the orange part. Odd.

Attachments

• image-299238779.jpg
    image-299238779.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 104
I would not discount asterina just yet. I have had a few remain largely 5 point radially symmetrical and reach almost 1/2 inch across before dropping a leg or splitting to make more. Just because most of them stay small doesn't mean they all will!

Btw the orange center of the underside is always present. It isn't the stomach out as I thought.

Updated pics. This little guy keeps growing!

Attachments

• image-225064628.jpg
    image-225064628.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 78
  • image-2375906961.jpg
    image-2375906961.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image-315046978.jpg
    image-315046978.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom