Regular hair algae?? Or something else?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywhitney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had a sudden outbreak (within the last two days) of what looks like brown hair algae but I'm not sure that's what it is. I'm not ruling out cyano but it doesn't look or behave like any of the cyano that I've dealt with before. It's started to grow over a bunch of my corals and it's keeping them from opening.

The only thing I have changed recently is switching to a set of radions for my lights. The lights are on for 8 hours at 40% and I changed them out a couple of weeks ago.

Water params:
SG: 1.024
PH: 8.1
Kh: 10
Ca: 490
Ammo/trites/trates: 0

Any ideas?

img_3202884_0_23bfd99c1f990456fb3789df1d61ca95.jpg

img_3202884_1_a1e0b8ea01c8de821eab039969707dcf.jpg

img_3202884_2_8ed727bbaece2be98bcb2f7d96763099.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S5 via the Aquarium Advice app.

it looks like a form of cayno , lighting changes always seem to bring it on faster , water changes will help also try reducing the power intensity of your lighting, you could also remove some of it manually to get rid of it faster

More water flow in those areas would also help. If that doesn't work for on the rock you could do a hydrogen peroxide dip

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There is some pretty major water flow in the areas it is. I treated with Chemiclean a couple days ago and that made 0 difference.

I went to my LFS today and asked them their opinion and they said it looked more like Dinoflagellates to them. I looked closer when I got home and I found spots where it's gooped up and is releasing O2 bubbles so I'm having a hard time contesting that it might be dinos.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 via the Aquarium Advice app.

Back
Top Bottom