Remove one aiptasia????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Packohotdogs

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found one aiptasia on a zoa rock I just bought. Can I literally take the rock out and cut it out? There aren't any others, as the rock is 2 days in my tank...

This is Aiptasia, right?

DO NOT CUT it. You will regret it. If it were me, I would take the rock out and zap him with some aipastia X. I would do this in a separate container too with saltwater in it. Any piece of an aipastia will grow back and they can spout out spores that will result in dozens more. I am fighting a losing battle right now with them and will most likely have to get all new rock. And it all started with a single aipastia on a single coral that I didnt zap adequately and now I have hundreds, and thats no exageration.

I just paid $30 for the rock?. But as I plan on building a reef, would it just be easier to take it out?? is there a chance the damage is already done? I don't have any AX and wouldn't be able to get any until tomorrow...

Btw... I am very sorry to hear about your infestation. :hide:

I hope you can win! That has to be some serious $$$ to replace rock in a 125gallon. I truly am sorry

You will be fine til you can get something to zap it with, just leave it alone for now. Any aggression on your part towards it might cause it to shoot those spores. They are the devil, I swear. lol But you should be good as you caught it early.

hehe thanks. What kills me is I can remember the exact moment I started it all and wish I could undo what I did. lol It was a single aipastia on a blue clove polyp coral rock. Just one and now almost all my tanks have it beyond bad. I also used to swap out rock between the tanks so thats all my own fault. Just a noob mistake that is haunting me years later. hehe thats why i am advising you to be aggressive in getting it out now before you get more, I really wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy.

Looks like the meds exceed the price of the zoa rock! If I take it out would that work to rid my tank of it, or has it already multiplied?

boiling hot vinegar or lemon juice in a syringe and blast that bugger
I killed plenty of them that way and cheaper than aipastia X and works just as good you just don't get the white mess aipastia X leaves behind

I would just pull the rock out, and break off the part with the anemone on it with a pair of pliers, and toss it in the trash. You should have something on hand to kill things like this though. this won't be the last time you see one.

Back
Top Bottom