Rose bubble or mysterious anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andreasmith

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-881201257.jpg
So I was told this was a rose bubble tip anemone. But I've never seen it bubble at the tips like in my lfs. So....
1. Is this a rbta?
2. Am I doing something wrong?

It looks like one to me. Some of the things that could be wrong is that they need a mature tank of at least a year and they need some good intense lighting. Can you let us know about those?

It looks like one to me. Some of the things that could be wrong is that they need a mature tank of at least a year and they need some good intense lighting. Can you let us know about those?

Have had tank since March of 2012. Have had varied luck with corals. The anemone is about 8 inches from top of tank. Have taotronic lights 18 inches from top of tank. Lights are one hour blues in the afternoon, 8 hours blues and whites, one hour blue after, two hours of "moonlight". Lights are at 6 of 10.
All parameters are good. I use both normal test kits u find at your lps. Frankly, never had to add calcium as my tank stays at a good level. I have had a rough time keeping corals such as frogspawn, Duncans, and hammers. Some of my mushrooms are shrinking, but not all.
So basically, my tank needs some lovin'.
Change water regularly. Test salinity. I think it hates me right now. :p

Some rbta never actually bubble, but yours looks like it has good color and good extension. I have an rbta as well that is just starting to bubble at the tips only after almost 8 months in the tank.

That is comforting. How often do you feed yours and what?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was feeding him a shot of the fish food I feed the tank but stopped a couple months ago. You really dont need to feed them, they get their food from the light and the tank pretty much. If you do chose to feed him make sure the food is tiny and maybe only once a week. The larger the food the harder it is for the anemone to digest.

I just posted some pics in my albums of my rise bubble tip and my clarkii who hosts it. Same thing, always been thin and stringy but I like it a lot better than bubbly. I've seen lots of healthy BTAs with stringy tentacles.

Sometimes they bubble, sometimes they don't. It's not entirely clear why either way.
As for feeding, this is a tricky topic. Photosynthesis provides the vast majority of what they need in terms of energy, but by definition cannot supply protein or vitamins, which are used for growth and various cellular functions. But even a pristine tank will have some dissolved proteins and nutrients that anemones may be able to absorb from the water column. If you are going to feed it to be sure, don't feed it often. Maybe once every week or two, and not a lot.
If a clown hosts the anemone (zero guarantee on that happening) then the clown will feed the anemone through either true symbiosis, sloppy eating habits, or pooping in it.
Just remember, if an organism has a mouth, it must eat something from time to time, even if it's extremely rare.

Update: so I've had this rbt for almost a year. My corals have been suffering as of late. Was at my lfs and a guy there asked me if we turned off the skimmer when we fed. We do not. Tried it. All the corals are looking better and miracle
of all miracles, my two clownfish found the rbt. It now actually has bubble tips!! On top of it, my purple dotty back that was picking on my other fish commit suicide when we were cleaning the tank and leapt 4 feet down and 2 feet across to his untimely death. Didn't see him otherwise we would have saved him. Picked up a beautiful Midas who is doing super well. All the sudden, I'm in absolute love with my tank again.

Back
Top Bottom