Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Round white ball?

I took out a rock to do some aptasia cleaning and saw a wierd thing on the bottom. I didn't get a picture but just wondered if it sounded like anything familiar.

I assumed it was a sponge and since I had the rock out of the water, I just got rid of it with some tweasers.

It was white and was a round ball. Probably about 1/4 inch in size. It was stuck to the rock via these legs, tentacles, strands, etc that were perfectly straight. They weren't sticking out all over like an urchin and it definately wasnt any kind of star. Just a perfect little white ball holding on with some straight strands.

Anyway, it's gone now. Just wondered what it was.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I've got the same thing on a piece of rock in my tank... I was getting ready to ask somebody what it was! Thanks for posting, now i dont have to start a new thread

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I found what mine was! Definately a sponge.
http://www.reefcorner.com/images/SpongeWhite.jpg

Is that yours?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

yep... mine isnt quite as "mucasy" looking, but almost identical.... Thanks, im totally new at this whole sw thing

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Same here. Mine doesnt have all the stuff that one does, but it has the strings. Im new too, lol. At least we know what it was now.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's cool 2 guys new to SW solved the question together that's awsome
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay, I got another one for ya'll...is there a list of nocturnal critters somewhere? I noticed at night, my sand seems to just come alive. It looks like hair covered with sand particles. They just start sticking out of the sand at night, like a current is moving them. Except I never see them during the day. So odd!
Old 04-25-2010, 03:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, but the list comes out "Tonight". lol
May be spagetti worms or spinoid worms...
Old 04-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have the spinoid worms already I think. Their tentacles poke out of my rocks all day. And I THINK these are too thin for spagetti worms.

Whatever this other thing is, it's similar to spinoid but not the same. They range in size but some of them are pretty long, at about 2 inches. The strands are super thin, like hair or webbing. They only come out of the substrate, never the rocks and some of the sand sticks to it. If it werent for the pieces of sand, I'd never have seen them because they are so thin. And it ONLY happens at night.

Honestly, when I first saw it, I thought it was just something blowing in the current. It just looks like the current blowing stuff out of the sand. But then I realised it only happens at night.

I'll try and get some pics or video tonight if I can. I shined a regular flashlight last night and they kept doing it. Ill try and research too because it's morning and nothing is happening, so Im really curious as to what it is.

I really like all the wierd stuff you see in this hobby! It's fun trying to work out what things are.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com