Saltwater Fiddler Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

My husband got a crab from Jacks Pets. It said Blue Fiddler Crab. It was completely submerged in one of their saltwater tanks.

Does anyone know about these guys and if it can be put in our reef?

I also have a non-reef so I can put it in there too, but would it harm my sexy shrimp?

uploadfromtaptalk1446410513634.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446410564168.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446410596243.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

No, fiddler crabs are semi aquatic crabs. They need a perch to get up out of the water and brackish water, which isn't fully saltwater. A 50% water/ 50% land tank is the best for them. Also, any fish larger than them will attack them and try to eat them.

He bought it to feed to his mantis, he said I can have it if I wanted it. I want to save it...poor dude! I bet the pet store just has another species they know nothing about :(

No, fiddler crabs are semi aquatic crabs. They need a perch to get up out of the water and brackish water, which isn't fully saltwater. A 50% water/ 50% land tank is the best for them. Also, any fish larger than them will attack them and try to eat them.

Nils hit the nail on the head these crabs are more a land crab rather than aquatic , they actually breath air they can stay submerged up to 6 hrs as they hunt for food but need to be able to surface to breath .
these crabs are very sensitive and do best in the wild , they can be kept in captivity but survival rate is very short term .

Back
Top Bottom