Sand Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As a kid living on the west coast (So. Cal) we used to catch sand crabs at the beach. I recently saw very similar ones for sale on line. I thought these guys would be good for turning over my substrate, boy is that an understatement. I have never seen one in water, just in the sand. It is cool to watch them catch food with their little fealer thingys (nice technical term). They are like little Volkswagens in the Idndy 500.

Fluff just thought you might think they were cute. that's why I put them in this forum, I know you live in the ID forum.

Attachments

• sand_crab.jpg
    sand_crab.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 88
  • sand_crab_2.jpg
    sand_crab_2.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 109
Now that you mention it I've seen them at the coast. I wonder if they deplete your sandbed like a starfish does?

Very cute got bait! lol I don't know much about them other than they are harmless filter feeders. They are clawless so, no chance of them going crazy after a while and becoming fish killers. Nice find. I hope it does well for you. :D

Nice find
I have used these for bait for many years. never thought one day I would have them an Aquarium. They have seemed to settle down a bit, my zoos and other polyps are thankful. Everything would be all nice and calm, then all of a sudden one would get a wild hair and just go nuts. They can't see good enough to compensate for the speed they swim at. They don't crawl, it's all or nothing with these guys.

Yep, I think I may get some of these. I was preparing to place an order through them hopefully week after next.

If you guys need a bunch, let me know and I can go to the beach and get you some. Or if you don't want to a order a bunch of stuff to qualify for the free shipping let me know any I can send some to you if you want to cover the shipping. The ocean is only about 15 min. from my house. Just PM me with address. I will need to do this on a weekend though.

Back
Top Bottom