Saw this last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divemasterjim

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok excuse the drawing best I could do on the computer. I saw this in a hole in my live rock last night couldnt really see it as it hide from the light, but it seemed to be a nudibranch or slug was wondering if anyone could identify it. It was a cream color with 3 blue circles down the center all I saw was the tail.

From the drawing, I'd say it's a chiton, do a google images search with the word chiton, and see if you find a species that looks like yours ;)

Atari said:
I think it's a Teletubby.

LMAO

Seriously, I agree with Kevin. I have one in my tank. Here is a pic.

edited by reefrunner69...DUDE!!! some of us are on dial up, that pic was 3.4 mb!!!

The shell is usually either covered in flesh or has a leathery appearance. Based on the drawing, that's what you got, if it's not it, we need a better drawing or preferrably a pic.

This one should be OK.

Cucumber_Maybe.sized.jpg

Well, that guy has been in my tank for a long time now. Took forever to ID it too. But RR came up with the winning answer. He is pretty harmless, He just goes about his business. He doesnt bother anybody and nobody bothers him. He is about 8" long and hides most of the day. At night you can see just his head poking out from under some rocks (at least i think its his head). If I turn on the lights or take a pic with the flash, he runs from the light and hides. Only issue i have with him is he will dig the sand out from under the rocks and cause them to shift every once in a while.

Cryptoplax larvaeformis. It is a type of chiton which has shell plates on its back.

It can be found in the book "Coral Reef Animals of the Indo-Pacific" (Allen/Steene).

The description is: "owing to the reduction of the shell plates and increased girdle, this species looks more like a worm than a mollusk. It is far more flexible than other chitons and may reach a length of 150mm.

Good pic, btw.

ok I saw him tonight It is definitely a chiton not a tellatubby good call guys thanks alot. He matches that photo exactly but his spots seem a little bluer. I was un able to find any photos of him other then yours.

I think the name is Acanthochitonina: Cryptoplacidae Choneplax lata but not sure it looked the closes to the picture but im still looking there isnt alot of info on these guys , maybe cuz there are so many different types

Back
Top Bottom