Scared. Fast moving I think shrimp on new live rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

litebrite

Aquarium Advice Regular
At first I thought it was just my eyes. Then I definitely saw it. It's FAST.

This thing is about the size of an ant and moves like, well actually I have never seen anything move so fast I can't even get a good look at it. It came on a new live rock which was attacthed to a live coral.

I think I removed the coral with the creature still in it. What should I do?

Detach the coral and bleach the rock?
Put the coral back in the tank because the critter is harmless?

This is all that I can identify. I hear stories of stuff getting in tanks like this. I hope it didn't jump to another rock. My first coral can you tell. The store said it was either a copepod or a manta shrimp from this decription. I have no idea since I could not see it. The thing is faster than my eye and about 2mm in size.

What do you think it is?

There are many on this corals rock. Flat translucent brownish yellow, worm like creatures. It looks like it floats over the rock like a flat carpet.

About 3mm long and here is the big identifier..
A RED DOT ON ITS BUTT as it slugs or crawls along. Too small to photo.

Maybe this was something else that I found. It looks like some kind of shrimp. It could be young copepods possibly. Worried it is a baby manta shrimp or some poison slugs. How can I tell the difference. I really don't have a clue or experience. I'll try to take a photo.

Does that help? It moves slow when it wants to.

The first critter sounds like a flat worm. You'll want to do a general search for flatworm removal to help in ridding your tank of these.
The second thing sounds like an amphipod. If this is the case, it's a harmless janitor. The link melosu posted should have pics of both of these critters to help you ID them.

Yup... flat translucent brownish yellow with red dot - definitely a flat worm. They can easily be sucked out during your water change. I'd get them that way before resorting to other methods. You can get an awful lot out with a siphon - they're really dumb and slow.

The other one does sound like an amphipod - they look like a shrimp and can scurry around pretty darn quick. If it was a mantis, I doubt you'd see it out and about during the day.

This was not what jetted around the rock. These are something else on the same rock. Their more like slugs with legs. A worm would be an accurate description.

These worm things. Should I pull them off.
img_863214_0_5dcb5c8127074225a7c704567bf4849c.jpg

The fast mover is not possible to get a photo since I have yet to see it directly.

Yes, pull the yellowish worms out, as many as you can find. Syphoning them out as mentioned works well. A piece of airline tubing would do the trick and not remove a ton of water at the same time.

The worms were all over it. It was easier to remove the coral than remove the worms. I just hope all is safe. I will be more careful buying corals next time. Thanks for the identifications. I have the rock separate so if the fast mover is still there I will post a pic. :)

I just found a molting from the fast mover. It looks mosly like a giant common house flea shape. I think it is a Amphipod. It had 6 legs and 2 long front antenna then it's body was long with many sections. Skinny and long. Boy this thing is fast. Still can't find it but I found it's molt. I would like to buy these things for my tank, they are soooo cool. They look like the mice from the AOL high speed commercial warping around the tank. :) I can't get all the worms off the live rock, so it's soon going to be dry rock. I removed the coral and the coral is doing fine on another rock. :)

Found em!

It's an Amphipod. I had the lights turned off and it was out of the rock sleeping on the bottom. It's a scary looking bug. Just looks like some bad mean brown worm with legs ready to bite and looking to get in trouble. It is definitely FAST!!!!! When I woke it up ZOOOOMMM. Gone from sight.

Should I catch it and put it in my 150 gallon tank. I know the hole on the LR it hides in now... It can't bite me right? It looks really creepy.

Looks like this.
image006.jpg

SOURCE:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rs/images/image006.jpg

Back
Top Bottom