Sea Urchin... Found this *on* beach, ok for tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sea Urchin... Found this *on* beach in FL, ok for tank??

image-3358409471.jpg

You'd have to look up the species as to whether or not it's reef safe. You also need a saltwater fishing license to collect in FL. Also, some species are protected.

I would throw it back Tango looks a little weak. I never put in that type but long spine and the smaller ones seem to do well.

Heres one I found last week along with two lionfish. I always said I'll never have a lionfish but these little guys I couldn't kill so fish in the frag tank.

Attachments

• image-2747154720.jpg
    image-2747154720.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 204
  • image-621838817.jpg
    image-621838817.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 196
  • image-3233498303.jpg
    image-3233498303.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 183
Is it really OK to add stuff straight from the gulf/ocean? My LFS told me no.

My boys caught some hermit crabs and snails at the beach last week and want to put them in. Since I'm still cycling, I thought it might not be a problem...but I don't want to crash the whole thing.

I realize snails and crabs are quite different from urchins and lion fish....but waht is the general rule?

BTW, y'all have been so helpful to me already, hope you don't mind me asking here :)

Those volitans lions are a scourge in Florida waters. They have no predators other than themselves and eat everything. They can be eaten, but as apex predators they concentrate toxins. Who ever introduced them should be out there picking them all up. They are beautiful fish, and nothing is better than a nice tank with a lion fish, but they belong in the Pacific.

I would encourage anyone who catches one in Atlantic or Caribbean waters to not return it to the water alive. I normally am strongly in favor only taking what you eat or will keep in a tank, but this is an exception.

I add blue legged hermits, nassuirus snails and emerald crabs that I catch a lfs catches the hermits in the same area. To me it's know the critters before you add them and quartine the fish. Some fish I won't add tho cus their prone to parasites.Thanks the lions are sweet.

I would throw it back Tango looks a little weak. I never put in that type but long spine and the smaller ones seem to do well.

Yeah, I agree! After Googling it, I saw their spines should probably follow a nice pattern & not go every which way PLUS it floated in a bucket! It was probably dead. Lots of Sea Hares up on the beach again & in the surf. Saw a guy catch & release a BIG nurse shark right on the beach too. NEAT!!

Heres one I found last week along with two lionfish. I always said I'll never have a lionfish but these little guys I couldn't kill so fish in the frag tank.

Cool! I had no idea they were a nuisance. Maybe Riley's Reef would give you a credit?? They're a very cool fish but I would be VERY sad if 1 ate my other fish in my tank!! The previous owners of my tank had a Lionfish & they said it ate the other Damsels! That fish always makes me think of the movie Deuce Bigalow w/ Rob Schneider!

Is it really OK to add stuff straight from the gulf/ocean? My LFS told me no.

My boys caught some hermit crabs and snails at the beach last week and want to put them in. Since I'm still cycling, I thought it might not be a problem...but I don't want to crash the whole thing.

I realize snails and crabs are quite different from urchins and lion fish....but waht is the general rule?

BTW, y'all have been so helpful to me already, hope you don't mind me asking here :)

While you're cycling w/ either dead shrimp or pure Ammonia, I wouldn't add animals. After a big water change to bring down the NitrAtes, add the animals but do not add more Ammonia sources (i.e. the dead shrimp or pure Ammonia). Just stock your tank slowly. You'd also have to do very frequent PWC's w/ animals in there to keep the NitrItes down until they're zero every reading.

I don't mind you asking here at all!! It's how we all learn! And also, keep a small Quarantine tank for new tank inhabitants especially wild caught. Don't want to introduce any germs/viruses/bacteria to your system. If you're gonna still cycle your tank & wait 3-4 weeks to add any fish, etc. then maybe it's ok to add the wild snails & hermit crabs?? Just make sure they're ok for what you plan to put in the tank in the future.

Attachments

• image-2197430694.jpg
    image-2197430694.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 148
Here's a pic of the nurse shark caught on the beach today! We've been 2 evenings lately & both times BIG sharks caught!!

image-3847301954.jpg

I add blue legged hermits, nassuirus snails and emerald crabs that I catch a lfs catches the hermits in the same area. To me it's know the critters before you add them and quartine the fish. Some fish I won't add tho cus their prone to parasites.Thanks the lions are sweet.

Which wild critters are parasite prone?

Emerald Crabs are in FL?? Just got an Emerald Crab, love him! He's awesome... non-stop picking the algae off the rocks! Was thinking I'd like another but haven't looked up if you can have more than 1 in a 75 gal.

Awesome was that on Jupiter island? Parasite wise the French angel and blue tang are hard to keep. Yep emeralds are local!

Awesome was that on Jupiter island? Parasite wise the French angel and blue tang are hard to keep. Yep emeralds are local!

Looks like it! Great photo place at sunrise!! There's tons more rock there than here. Nope Santa Lucea beach, Stuart.

As for Emerald Crabs, I imagine they are HARD to find diving b/c when just my Actinics are on, he's hard to find. Thinking about taking my kids snorkeling off The Breakers soon but just to peer at nature, no taking ;)

As herp stated it's wise to know the states laws concerning the wildlife. Also, I have a HUGE colony of sun polyps a friend of mine got right out the gulf (with permission) and its doing awesome!

Back
Top Bottom