Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2003, 07:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
several topic leather?!

This easily falls into more than one forum section:

Bargain Sticky: I was just wondering through one of my LFS stores and noticed a single shroom cap that had removed itself from the shroom rock for sale and was laying happily attached to a small CC piece. (pictured below) He did a quick calculation and came up with $4.99. So I did a quick calculation and asked about this other small piece (also pictured below) and insisted that if one "fall off was $4.99" then they all should be! Bingo 2 for $4.99! What a deal I talked myself into.

Identification: The second, i believe i some type of leather. I dunno for sure so please help. It is a picture tacken from above. It is a lovely light purple with a hint of green. Somewhat flexible and velvet-like to the touch.

General disscussion: I really wasn't ready for anything more difficult than a shroom. "this is where you insert your tongue lashing for impulse buying". At least I don't feel ready, and I did no research on care for a specific species. But hey as soon as I can get an ID, I'll know what I am caring for!

Much Thanks in Advance!
R

Old 12-13-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also, I haven't glued the second frag as I wan't tp know what it is for optimal placement. it is currently resting ona large hole in the LR. How far is a temporary placement like this going to get me. It appears quite stable as most of the 2" or so stalk is in the hole. And it is nearly 3" across. Thanks again.

Old 12-13-2003, 11:00 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Identification: The second, i believe i some type of leather. I dunno for sure so please help. It is a picture tacken from above. It is a lovely light purple with a hint of green. Somewhat flexible and velvet-like to the touch.
Looks like a Lobophytum sp leather (devils hand), without examination of the sclerites it is nearly impossible to ID leathers beyond genus, and sometimes that is pretty hard

Quote:
I really wasn't ready for anything more difficult than a shroom. "this is where you insert your tongue lashing for impulse buying". At least I don't feel ready, and I did no research on care for a specific species.
If you had to pick a coral to be a bad boy on, a leather is a good candidate.

Quote:
Also, I haven't glued the second frag as I wan't tp know what it is for optimal placement. it is currently resting ona large hole in the LR. How far is a temporary placement like this going to get me. It appears quite stable as most of the 2" or so stalk is in the hole.
I would not have the stalk in the hole, just the rock it is attatched to. It is going to appreciate good flow and med to high light.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 01:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's just it it's not attched to any rock at all. -Well first off I would like to say thanks- I thought perhaps a devel's hand but wasn't sure. I was hoping at $4.99 I could take a little risk. As for as lighting I am sure it will be happy. So far it placed high up with (10) 55W PCs. and power sweep right across it. I will glue it to a small rock tomorrow barring objection from here. I believe is was a small piece that was broken off a larger specimen perhaps in shipping. But the coloration is good. And thanks again, this time for taking it east on the tongue lashing. I'm gaining confidence that I can do this.

Tags
eat, leather

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com