Should be in a horror film...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
"It came from within..." starring Medusa as the worm creature.

I've seen this thing twice. Both times it has reached out and grabbed huge chunks of leafy macroalgae. It is quite fast, has nasty looking jaws surrounded by tenticles...and legs like a millipede. It would not be quite as thick as your pinky finger, but almost. No telling how long it is, but it is at least 2".

Harmless plant eater...but I'm a little less inclined to be sticking my fingers around that particular hole... Anyone know what it is?

That is something quite wicked looking, Like a demon from some sort of Japanese horror movie..

100K is impossible to work with

I don't think so, it VERY rare that I upload a photo over 100K, try resizing to about 640 X 480 or 800 X 600 and optimizing, rather than simply resizing, but if need be, the gallery has a 250KB limit ;)

Looks like a sea cucumber.

It's got legs..

I don't think that sea cucumbers have legs....do they? It also seems segmented.

I looked at the pic again, it does not have legs, not sure what they are called, but they are not legs and it doesn't appear segmented to me. Do a google images search for sea cucumbers and I think you will see enough with a close enough resemblance to convince you, the brown at it's mouth convinced me, similar to that of a sea apple.

not a pod..

No.. it is much too large to be a pod.

I think it is a type of bristle worm or at least some kind of worm.

It uses those side appendages like legs and moves exactly as a millipede does with alternate "legs" moving in forward and backward...so they may not be legs, but they move like legs.

Who knows...maybe someday I'll get a better picture.

I think that is what i just found in my bag holing my carbon. i keep my carbon in my over flow and all water hit that bag. he was about 2 in long and was red brown and white. i put him back in the main part of the tank and he when to the bottom then shoot away. i think i have also seen him at night a long time ago. flying accross the top of the tank and then he when in to the over flow and i never saw him again till to day.

at last

I got one of them too, although about as thick as a matchstick with the same description..Slithers out of a hole in the rock and the front part fold's back to jaws and it just seems to crunch at the rock and then retreats back to its hole. Inclined to think it's some kind of bristle worm. Can't find any info on the web about anything that looks like it.Don't know what length it is. Also got a small orange coloured one about half inch long ..but this one senses you there or see's you and it bolts into a hole in the rock..Quiet a few creatures inside the rock but most come out at lights out. Brilliant little crab, great markings but as soon as lights are off it hobbles over to my polyp's and snips bits off . Difficult to get him....Shame cos I like him.

Worm creature...

I can't see my creature actually swimming around. Could be possible, but it looks like it would much prefer to be crawling around, rather than swimming.

I've actually got a 2nd one now, but this one is proving to be even more difficult to photograph. This one is the same body shape..long, wormlike, with leglike side spikes and a head surrounded by tentacles....and jaws. This one is smaller and almost completely black, with a white stripe right around the end giving the appearance of a head section.

It really sounds like Jim D. has a similar creature. "jaws" is the word for it when he makes his move. It's nasty looking.

I've got some bristle worms also...very different..no head tentacles and no jaws to speak of. Similar habits, although my bristleworms tend to be bolder and just crawl where ever they please.

Back
Top Bottom