Shrimp IDs Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just ULed 5 pix of 2 shrimp I need IDed before I release them into my tank (or not). The pix are in my gallery, click the link to the left.

The first looks like a cleaner shrimp, except his legs and antenna are BRIGHT blue and he has one claw significantly larger.

The second is tinted blue/clear.

Any IDs?

Not sure on shrimp #2 as it does not yet have any distinguishable markings. It is still quite small... ?

Shrimp #1 is a pistol shrimp.

Cheers
Steve

That's what I figured, and that's why I didn't put him in the tank. Too bad, he's got great color.

Shrimp 2 looks like a Mantis Shrimp of some sort..

Shrimp 1 Is positivly a Blue Legged Pistol Shrimp.. I have a mated pair in my tank however they are Extremely Loud and often wake me up at night..

BTW how did you like the Rock It was awesome wasnt it.. You can tell when it came there was not going to be really any die-off huh..

James

Bearfan said:
That's what I figured, and that's why I didn't put him in the tank. Too bad, he's got great color.
Why not? Pistols are not really a concern except rarley with smaller shrimp.

cj10488 said:
Shrimp 2 looks like a Mantis Shrimp of some sort..
I was thinking the same but I could not make out any tail definition. The body width would definately suggest that...

Cheers
Steve

Why not? Pistols are not really a concern except rarley with smaller shrimp.
I have no problems with mine except it is noisy as noisy can be.. When something in my tank can wake me up from sleeping its gotta go.... I believe its more of a noise thing.. If I remember right Bearfan was going to have this tank in his bedroom.. That would pose a problem to someone who wants to sleep.. My Pistol shrimp has trippled in size at least since I have noticed him.. he molts on a weekly basis.. And I can tell from the size of its claw I should start getting ready to pull the LR and dip it to catch him soon if I want to be able to sleep in the future..

James

I have the exact same pistol that was in some LR. I agree with cj10488 in the fact that they can be noisey however mine is in my bedroom and never wakes me up....maybe I'm just a deep sleeper?

I sheds very often as well, however Ive only seen him once since he's been in my tank. I woulsn't worry about putting him in your tank unless you dont' want the noise, mine has never harmed anything in my tank.

With my tank in the bedroom, my wife wakes up pretty easily, so the pistol will have to find another home.

Back
Top Bottom