six line wrasse problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moxi25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HELP!!

I have had 1 six line wrasse for a couple of mouth and now the problem is that he not eating his coocon and it is literaly every where covering the live rock. it's like a moldy string layer every where. I need to know how to get it off.:(
liverock.jpg

Ewwwwww!!! That fish needs a spanking and to be told to clean up his bed! ROFL!
Sorry-I have no idea how to get that out of there-maybe a toothbrush and then suck it out with tubing? That is gross. Does he leave it every day or just some days? I'm so very thankful at this point that my carpenter wrasse doesn't leave his around!! Good luck! And I hope someone with experience in this will chime in.

I have this white cob web stuff.. Also dark purple and pink. What is this? Good? Bad? A six line wrasse will eat this? Any info would be great. Thanks.

In my experience with wrasses, they do sleep in a cocoon. But during lights on, they just leave them behind. My power heads normally takes care of it and just blow them off, or my snails just gobble it up as snacks. How much water flow do you have?

Leonardo7689 said:
In my experience with wrasses, they do sleep in a cocoon. But during lights on, they just leave them behind. My power heads normally takes care of it and just blow them off, or my snails just gobble it up as snacks. How much water flow do you have?

I don't have a wrasse, but its newer LR from someone's tank, maybe they had one. I only have one power head 700, I can point it at rock, or grab a few snails... Which are best?

I'd try having the power head blow in it first and see how it goes. It'll be one less pet to feed and less on your bio load. Good luck and keep us posted! :)

The power head didnt work. It needs to scrubbed. Should I take it out of tank and scrub it? Or leave it in? What kind f algae is that?

Sorry, I should've read the entire thread first coz I was still thinking we're talking about the wrasse's cocoon. The stuff your describing sounds more like cyano bacteria. Does it look velvety?

It's small patches of white, pink and dark purple fuzzy stuff. I also on another rock have a patch of maroon stuff that looks velvet.

It's kinda hard to be certain of what it is without any pictures but I'm guessing it cyano. They start to spread out when there are lots of nutrients in the water. Too much light also aids to that and not enough water flow. Try leaving the lights off for 24 to 48 hours and see if they dissipate. In the event that they do, it's definitely cyano

Leonardo7689 said:
It's kinda hard to be certain of what it is without any pictures but I'm guessing it cyano. They start to spread out when there are lots of nutrients in the water. Too much light also aids to that and not enough water flow. Try leaving the lights off for 24 to 48 hours and see if they dissipate. In the event that they do, it's definitely cyano

Here's some pics...

Attachments

• image-3488024616.jpg
    image-3488024616.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 59
  • image-450863641.jpg
    image-450863641.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 54
  • image-2887246584.jpg
    image-2887246584.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 55
The pink and white stuff growing on your rocks are sponges! They're perfectly reef safe. The one next to the hammer coral looks like coralline algae. Lol you don't really have to worry about them at all! :)

Great! Thanks! Good to know. Do you exactly what kind of sponges?

Im not really familiar with sponges other than they're filter feeders. That's about all I know:)

Back
Top Bottom