Slug/worm/mystery thing in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alkalineknot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 32 gallon tank that I have only added live rock to. It's 3 weeks old and I had this little guy appear today. Just trying to get an idea what he is. I thought he was a Chiton at first but he appears to be much flatter and can "swim." Any help would be appreciated! IMG_3583.jpgIMG_3581.jpg

Stomatella snail good guy (y)

Stomatella-Bottom.jpg
Save

If your still not sure pull it out put in small container with a little water catch it while you can see it

It's definitely a flatworm. I'd try to get it out and put it in a sump.

In case it is a coral eating one. I'm not a big fan of killing living animals even if they are detrimental to the tank and thus throw any bad behavior animals into my sump. I have a giant emerald crab in my sump who got a little to frisky with my corals

Gotcha. At the moment the only coral I have in there that I care about is a piece of open brain coral that came on the live rock I put in. So at the moment I feel comfortable just keeping an eye to make sure he doesn't go after that. At this point my tank has cycled enough that I could add more, but I think at this point I may only add some Xenia.

Yeah just watch him. He's probably harmless if he just came with the rock and not hitched on a coral.

But just keep an eye out. Also watch to see if you see snails disappearing. I know there are flatworm species that prey on them.

Yeah just watch him. He's probably harmless if he just came with the rock and not hitched on a coral.

But just keep an eye out. Also watch to see if you see snails disappearing. I know there are flatworm species that prey on them.

Thanks for the info/advice!

Back
Top Bottom