Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2002, 12:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to BlueAbyss Send a message via MSN to BlueAbyss Send a message via Yahoo to BlueAbyss
small hitchhiker snail

this came in on some live rock along time ago, he hasn't grown much and is still only about 1/3 of an inch long. trying to properly identify everything in my tank and I have no idea what this is. BTW thanks again fishfreek and reefrunner for the help with the tang lastnight. I appreciate it. Jenn

he is sitting ON the bubble algea

http://www.blueabyss.net/
BlueAbyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 01:51 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I'm not real good at snail ID, but I'll say this, if it eats bubble algae, it's probably a keeper, IMO...

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 02:32 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
There is a nice hitchhiker guide in the links section. Look under the Aquarium reference section.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 05:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to BlueAbyss Send a message via MSN to BlueAbyss Send a message via Yahoo to BlueAbyss
thanks I appreciate it, I will go look, I have two more things in my tank (aside from assorted colors of sponges) that I can't identify. maybe you all know what they are. the first is an orange snail. sold to me as an "orange cat's eye snail" at a LFS but when I look that up I get nothing, the only place I'm able to find a picture is on fishgirls website. this is the picture from her site.

the second is a coral that came in on my live rock, it's still very much alove and I can't really identify it. it's about 4 inches long and about 2 1/2 across. pet store guy thought it was a brain coral of some kind, not sure, anyway if you know, please let me know, thanks

p.s. sorry about the size of the pics, I can't get my adobe to open right now
http://www.blueabyss.net/
BlueAbyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 06:08 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

The snail is a Orange Mexican turbo snail. The coral is a Favia or Favites species coral. To classify it down to the genus, you would really need to be into coral taxonomy, and I would need the coral, to examine under a microscope. It is however one of the "brain corals". My best guess is that it is one of the Favia species (pineapple or moon corals).

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitchhiker, snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com