small hitchhiker snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlueAbyss

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
this came in on some live rock along time ago, he hasn't grown much and is still only about 1/3 of an inch long. trying to properly identify everything in my tank and I have no idea what this is. BTW thanks again fishfreek and reefrunner for the help with the tang lastnight. I appreciate it. Jenn

he is sitting ON the bubble algea
littlesnail.jpg

There is a nice hitchhiker guide in the links section. Look under the Aquarium reference section.

thanks I appreciate it, I will go look, I have two more things in my tank (aside from assorted colors of sponges) that I can't identify. maybe you all know what they are. the first is an orange snail. sold to me as an "orange cat's eye snail" at a LFS but when I look that up I get nothing, the only place I'm able to find a picture is on fishgirls website. this is the picture from her site.

orangesnail.jpg

the second is a coral that came in on my live rock, it's still very much alove and I can't really identify it. it's about 4 inches long and about 2 1/2 across. pet store guy thought it was a brain coral of some kind, not sure, anyway if you know, please let me know, thanks

coralonrock.jpg

p.s. sorry about the size of the pics, I can't get my adobe to open right now

The snail is a Orange Mexican turbo snail. The coral is a Favia or Favites species coral. To classify it down to the genus, you would really need to be into coral taxonomy, and I would need the coral, to examine under a microscope. It is however one of the "brain corals". My best guess is that it is one of the Favia species (pineapple or moon corals).

Back
Top Bottom