Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Small star fish taking over

I have hundreds of these small star fish in my tank and i beleive they may have been the cause of some missing polys and even a dead blue sea fan. I have attached some pictures of them.

Are they harmful to corals or coraline? What can I do to get rid of them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119[1].jpg
Views:	180
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	20286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0120[1].jpg
Views:	169
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	20287  

Old 08-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
is back to save the day!

That looks to be an astroidea starfish. They more than likely got into your tank by hitchiking on the live rock you got. I would remove them because naturally all starfish are predators of corals. And if you say that polyps are missing and so forth... then it wouldn't be hard to believe that those starfish are munching on your corals. Get rid of them if you want to save corals. Who knows, you might even be able to put them into your refugium or sump if you have one of those. Just make sure you get them out of a tank with corals.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have been fishing them out with a net but when i tell u they are everywhere im not exagerating. They are all over the live rock and glass. Is there anything that will kill them or eat them?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
is back to save the day!

Well, that depends.. what are the fish in your tank? Because if they are all peaceful fish/community fish, chances are they wont even bother with the small starfish.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I got tangs, clows, wrasses, chromis, cardinals. None of which seem to have an appetite for them
Old 08-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Correct term is SEA STAR not star fish. Sadly links, I have to disagree, I have hundreds of mini/micro brittle stars in my tank and they have left everything alone (they are not sea stars, but VERY closely related). There are many people who have kept sea stars in reef tanks without problems. There are also quite a few reef-safe sea stars.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I dislike asterinas since I tend to notice eventually, when food is not to their liking, they will prey on coral. I always pull them when I have a chance.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

My problem is i see the "sea stars" litteraly eating away at my sea fan and i have had polyps go missing out of nowhere. I also have NO coraline in my tank. As soon as u see some growing these sea stars seem to come in and clean it up. This is sad because the coraline adds color to the tank. I am trying to find a more reasonable way of getting them out. I have a 150 gallon fish tank and fishing them out doesnt seem to be doing much damage.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #9
is back to save the day!

Thom, im not disagreeing with what you said about the "sea Star" and all, but we are talking about two different things here. In the wild, most Sea Stars prey on corals, and others on sea urchins. I know that there are sea stars that are reef safe, like the brittle stars, serpent stars, and linkcia or however that's spelled, but that's not the case here. He HAS astroidea, and they ARE coral munchers. They are labeled as bad pests for the tank, since as innovator said, when they don't get food to their liking, they will eat corals. That is the problem here.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

While you guys are helping my I am also trying to catch a mantis shrimp that seems to have hitched a ride on my live rick along with the sea stars. He is killing all my blue legs and snails!!

Tags
star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com