Snail Eggs? Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dscount

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay this just appeared this morning on my back wall. It has to be some sort of snail. I just got a screaming deal from Aquatic Island ($0.29 each). I recall someone else had these once.

QUESTIONS: What are these eggs from? Should I be worried, and/or do anything about them?

I have a Nass Snails 50, bunch of Cerith 20+ and about 20 Margaritas.

Thanks

Attachments

• snail_eggs_376.jpg
    snail_eggs_376.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 77
Nassarius snails lay eggs in a dome type mass. Ceriths lay in ribbon type masses like the one pictured.

Thanks Fluff! As always you come to the rescue.

I had thought Nass as well. Good to know about the dome type mass. I'll keep an eye out for that as well.

GOOD NEWS and BAD news.

First off. Yes the photo at the start was of cerith snails. They became fish food.

Good news. The ceriths apparently got sneaky and laid a ton next to the anemone under a rock in a pretty good spot.

So.. I'm the proud owner of about 12-20 little babies running around. Mostly white right now and darn small. I only see them late at night when I turn on the room lights.

I thought they where a pain to breed in captivity? Did I just get lucky?

I think it depends on the snail and I've read that ceriths breeding is pretty common in captivity. Nassarius are almost impossible. Congrats on the babies. :D

Fluff said:
I ..........Nassarius are almost impossible. Congrats on the babies. :D
Hmmm.......my nassarius snails have bred profusely. Startd out with about 20 and now have over 100. The eggs are everywhere.

Tex said:
Fluff said:
I ..........Nassarius are almost impossible. Congrats on the babies. :D
Hmmm.......my nassarius snails have bred profusely. Startd out with about 20 and now have over 100. The eggs are everywhere.

Do you know what species of nassarius you have? Under perfect conditions I'm sure it can be done. Most tanks just aren't equipped to rear the young nassarius. As I understand it, once hatching they go through a planktonic larvae phase, free swimming and feeding on phytoplankton. These normally get eaten, killed in the equipment or just simply starve. If you've managed to have them survive in mass numbers, congrats to you. Perhaps you would be willing to share your experience with them, tank info/stats, etc. (in another thread of course ;) ) with the rest of the community. I would be interested in reading it as I'm sure many others would be as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom